Does anyone know why dubia roaches have been skyrocketing in price as of late?

spiderlover123

Arachnopeon
I've noticed that in all of the pet stores in New York, Dubia roaches have been quite expensive to buy! In fact, It almost costs me 20 dollars to pick up 5 large juvenile roaches! Has anyone else had a similar experience? Its not to problematic though because I have a lobster roach colony to feed my animals so I'm fine.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I heard they are extinct in the wild, and a virus has swept through them.

Edward

Arachnopeon
Seriously? That insane! Do you have anymore information on the subject?
If it's true, that's insane! I'd also like to hear more. Thank god I have a colony of Dubia (FYI there's a good deal on the classifieds rn, if I remember correctly, if you want a colony.) To be frank however, red runners are better feeders
purely due to size, how frenetic they are, and how they don't climb well or burrow
for small/mid T's. I feel like my pacman frog appreciates my dubia the most, followed by my assassin bugs (the adult dubia are great for group feeds.)

Sorry for the tangent, but if Dubia roaches are just now in demand purely as a feeder and if they aren't extinct in the wild they can be substituted for dozens of other, cheaper species. Very sad if they are endangered in the wild or close to extinct.

spiderlover123

Arachnopeon
If it's true, that's insane! I'd also like to hear more. Thank god I have a colony of Dubia (FYI there's a good deal on the classifieds rn, if I remember correctly, if you want a colony.) To be frank however, red runners are better feeders
purely due to size, how frenetic they are, and how they don't climb well or burrow
for small/mid T's. I feel like my pacman frog appreciates my dubia the most, followed by my assassin bugs (the adult dubia are great for group feeds.)

Sorry for the tangent, but if Dubia roaches are just now in demand purely as a feeder and if they aren't extinct in the wild they can be substituted for dozens of other, cheaper species. Very sad if they are endangered in the wild or close to extinct.
i agree! It would be an absolute tragedy if they were truly extinct in the wild. However I think it would be fairly easy to replace it in the wild though. We literally have millions lying around haha. I honestly think people are starting to keep dubias as hobby roaches rather than feeders. Sort of like Hissing cockroaches. Has the virus gone into captive populations yet? If it does that could be disastrous!

Beetles

Arachnosquire
@spiderlover123 That may just be a New York pet store thing but then again I havent been to a pet store in a while. At the very least onlune prices havent changed at least where I shop. Also @viper69 where did you hear about this virus and that they are extinct in the wild? I think your source lied or were also fed misinformation no offense.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Dubia's have been a staple for a long time, and people still do produce them. The question now becomes: Who's selling them?
Not many people are selling them online, but if you search locally such as shows, Repticon, etc. they are always usually selling Dubia's for cheap. So it's just a question of the online space where dubia roaches are not being sold often. Which is probably why they're quite expensive to some people.

I heard they are extinct in the wild, and a virus has swept through them.
I think that is a joke, that no one got. :bag:

spiderlover123

Arachnopeon
@spiderlover123 That may just be a New York pet store thing but then again I havent been to a pet store in a while. At the very least onlune prices havent changed at least where I shop. Also @viper69 where did you hear about this virus and that they are extinct in the wild? I think your source lied or were also fed misinformation no offense.
I see. I do find it a bit suspicious that one of the most common feeders are now extinct in the wild and no one has said anything at all.But then again, I did just go to new jersey exotics for dubias and the prices were about the same. I cant find anything about this virus.
Dubia's have been a staple for a long time, and people still do produce them. The question now becomes: Who's selling them?
Not many people are selling them online, but if you search locally such as shows, Repticon, etc. they are always usually selling Dubia's for cheap. So it's just a question of the online space where dubia roaches are not being sold often. Which is probably why they're quite expensive to some people.

By the way. How do you do that emoji at the end of your sentence?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I noticed

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Demand is up in general. The reptile hobby is going crazy -- has been for about a year -- and demand is driving up prices on animals and feeders. Prices on many reptiles are double, or nearly so, what they were two years ago.

Shipping is currently terrible. Roaches are shipped -- very few shops breed their own. Delays, and losses due to delays, are very high for all the shippers. I've had numerous issues on live shipments of all sorts (insects, reptiles, poultry). Cost rises to cover those losses.

Also, one of the largest superworm providers in the US is out of stock on supers until the fall (ran their stocks down too low over the hump of the pandemic, due to the demand). Dubias are a good substitute, so demand increases for that reason too.

spiderlover123

Arachnopeon
Demand is up in general. The reptile hobby is going crazy -- has been for about a year -- and demand is driving up prices on animals and feeders. Prices on many reptiles are double, or nearly so, what they were two years ago.

Shipping is currently terrible. Roaches are shipped -- very few shops breed their own. Delays, and losses due to delays, are very high for all the shippers. I've had numerous issues on live shipments of all sorts (insects, reptiles, poultry). Cost rises to cover those losses.

Also, one of the largest superworm providers in the US is out of stock on supers until the fall (ran their stocks down too low over the hump of the pandemic, due to the demand). Dubias are a good substitute, so demand increases for that reason too.
Really? That's interesting! Why do you think the reptile hobby is expanding so quickly now?

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Really? That's interesting! Why do you think the reptile hobby is expanding so quickly now?
That people are (well, were for a year+) at home more, likely explains most of it. Bored, lonely, mind concocts new projects.

Also, reptiles are one of those 'recession-proof' markets like alcohol; even people in poor financial situations readily purchase more herps and beer. Those folks who aren't in bad financial situations currently are doing better than they were before -- the job market is great (for workers; not so much for employers). Some of the increase in prices of highly-sought-after herps is due to the fact that they're often examples of 'Veblen goods', for which demand increases when price increases (though this has nothing to do with the dubia situation, as far as I can see -- just a general comment on reptile markets).

The market for herps has been increasing steadily for as long as I can remember, and prices have been increasing in line. The current situation isn't a change, but rather an acceleration of what was already occurring. Also, feeder shortages are nothing new -- the first one I recall was mealworms around 2002 or so, but they likely existed before then, too -- I just wasn't buying many insects earlier than that.

spiderlover123

Arachnopeon
That people are (well, were for a year+) at home more, likely explains most of it. Bored, lonely, mind concocts new projects.

Also, reptiles are one of those 'recession-proof' markets like alcohol; even people in poor financial situations readily purchase more herps and beer. Those folks who aren't in bad financial situations currently are doing better than they were before -- the job market is great (for workers; not so much for employers). Some of the increase in prices of highly-sought-after herps is due to the fact that they're often examples of 'Veblen goods', for which demand increases when price increases (though this has nothing to do with the dubia situation, as far as I can see -- just a general comment on reptile markets).

The market for herps has been increasing steadily for as long as I can remember, and prices have been increasing in line. The current situation isn't a change, but rather an acceleration of what was already occurring.
Well then, If the reptile hobby keep on expanding I'm all for it! Hopefully it might take away some of the stigma of keeping reptiles and invertebrates.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I've noticed that in all of the pet stores in New York, Dubia roaches have been quite expensive to buy! In fact, It almost costs me 20 dollars to pick up 5 large juvenile roaches! Has anyone else had a similar experience? Its not to problematic though because I have a lobster roach colony to feed my animals so I'm fine.
I pay 20 for 50 large dubias but another shop charged 5 dollars for 3 so I don’t know. I fed to many females and now I’m down to 10 females, 13 males, and 2 nymphs. I might have to redo my math on how much it would cost to restart everything. You got overcharged. Also, why is there no status on the dubia roach like if it’s endangered?

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Well then, If the reptile hobby keep on expanding I'm all for it! Hopefully it might take away some of the stigma of keeping reptiles and invertebrates.
Yeah, hopefully. The increased numbers of keepers leads to an increased number of keepers doing stupid things and getting on the news for doing so, though, so I'm not sure if it is a net positive effect on public awareness. My own opinion is that keeping a low profile -- along with a very strict following of laws, justified and otherwise, and a high level of care for the animals -- is best, but I see the reasoning behind the increased awareness angle.

There are certainly a very increased number of websites peddling misinformation. I suspect the increase in the hobby leads to an increase in Amazon Affiliate sites that should not exist.