Does anyone know what the tiny crystals are in eco earth coconut fiber?

frodogecko

Arachnopeon
I've always noticed that eco-earth coconut fiber has tiny crystals in it. The last brick I bought had some larger crystals and some rocks in it (first time I've found rocks in one). It took me a while, but I picked all of them out. It just got me wondering what these tiny crystals are and are they safe for my T's?

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I never noticed although I pick things out before use. One time I found a screw in a bag of Eco earth I bought for a few rehousings.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Funny that a subject on cocfiber was brought up.. I was talking with a friend today and she informed me that coco fiber also contains ground cork bark... Can.anyone confirm this?

As to the OPs question...I have no idea what it could be and have never noticed anything shiny in mine.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The little crystals I've found look like sand or silica crystals. Though it usually sinks to the bottom of my slurry I make when scooping and draining it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
No idea, I've found loads of random twigs, seeds, bits of plastic, paper, stones and Hades knows what else in the blocks before.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
I bought a brick of coco fiber for plantation from Daiso and it is night and day compared to the bricks of Exo Terra plantation soil. Exo Terra bricks have loads of crap in there whereas the Daiso brick is literally, I kid you not, 99.99% pure coco fiber. Really sad Daiso doesn't carry that product anymore around here. I'd definitely pay the few bucks extra for it.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I use the bricks and have never had any problem with them, I tend to go for 100% organic although in the grand scheme of things that doesn't say much, apart from the fact I've never found anything that shouldn't be in there, I also sift it just to be on the safe side, I don't feel the need to bake it and have never had mould spores or critters resulting from the bricks.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I literally just found a small rock in the coco fiber my one sling's enclosures yesterday. I thought it was some leftover food balled up, but I quickly realized it was a rock the sling must have dug up and then decided to push out of it's den. That was my first time that I can remember ever finding something besides coco fiber and little pieces of root in the stuff

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
With some of the bricks I have bought I had 1 in particular that was full of those white crystal rock things. I just assumed it was quartz type of rock and tossed them in the trash. I have found a couple of times what looked to be bits of white and black plastic. I never really thought much of it, just tossed them in the trash and continued on.