Does anyone know what species this is?

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Over the summer while visiting my uncle's cabin on Straits lake in the Hiawatha forest, I came across this guy just relaxing on a dock post. His leg span was equal to my palm or larger. I have a pic of my hand next to it somewhere, but I can't find it.

Attachments

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
@The Snark The spider I came across was definitely different than the one you posted. Here are the pics I have. I cant find the pic I took with my hand next to it. Maybe I never took a pic of my hand next to it haha. I just remember putting my hand up to it and being amazed at its size. It wasn't bothered by me at all because it didn't move smidgen.

20160626_201025.jpg

20160626_201008.jpg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm leaning to hers being Tenebrosus. The chunky butt and slightly shorter thicker legs. They get up to hand span in size.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I'm leaning to hers being Tenebrosus. The chunky butt and slightly shorter thicker legs. They get up to hand span in size.
I agree. Thanks! I found some pretty neat videos on YouTube of Dolomedes hunting small fish. It's pretty cool.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Your very rough rule of thumb is an obvious hunting spider hanging out near water, think Dolomedes first. Water is an environment most hunters shun. For lycosids it usually spells instant death.
For your trivia. Compare Dolomedes to very similar spiders, the sparassids. Dolomedes has perfected dealing with water. When a sparassid encounters water and does it's blitz thing, it runs on top of the water!

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's not tenebrosus, in tenebrosus, the "W" patterning on the abdomen is not fully connected, in scriptus it is.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
It's hard to say because whenever I Google search dolomedes scriptus or dolomedes Tenebrosus the pics that come up for both searches just show a bunch of varying species of Dolomedes.

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
That seems to be common place on google its quite unreliable when it comes to IDs. Id maybe recommend trying to find a scholarly journal on Dolomedes sp.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All of the ones in the top two rose of the search of D. scriptus are indeed D. scriptus. Same applies to D. tenebrosus if you search it. They are pretty easy to tell apart if you know what to look for.