Does anyone keep banana spiders

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have heard that these spiders can grow to a 5 inch legspan. Does anyone keep these spiders, and does anyone know where i can buy a few. thanks

as in

Last edited:

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dont you need like a gigantic screen cage,or a screened in patio to accomodate the huge web??

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those are amazing spiders. I used to have one... brought it back from florida. You deffinitely need a very large enclosure for them, considering the web. But my god are they beautiful... and the silk is so strong!!!! Wish I could tell ya where to get 'em though.... only think I can think of is go down to Florida and catch them yourself. Besides, isn't it more rewarding that way? You get to experience so much going out and catching your own. ;)

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i see them all the time here!would they spend there life in the corner of my animal room if i coax them to build a web??

Spiderface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Botar was recently advertising some large nephila species. You may be able to obtain some from him and I believe he mentioned that due to their size they could be kept in a corner of the room. I was considering one for that very reason.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nephila clavipes the golden silk spider:) they have been known to trap small birds in those huge webs. ive sen them down here aswell, they like very shadey areas to build that huge web, very cool spider.

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i have a massive aquarium I wanted to keep one in. does anyone know where I can buy one?

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

ok, so maybe Ill just get a dead one for my collection. so freaking big!

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They replace half of the web each night...so I guess you could say 2 days.

I wonder if you could get one of these or another orbweaver to stay in a windowsill and get any pesky flies that get in the house and then try to escape out the window.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wouldn't these be an awesome crime deterrent? Have a couple of them out in your living room, and if a thief broke in they'd probably either have a heart attack or hurt themselves in their panic to get out! {D {D

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Back in 1975 I was in a Orange Grove having ornge fights with my buddies. I nailed one guy with an orange and took off running only to run face first into one of those guys! Damn thing ran down my face to chest, back up to face, down across arm and jumped off. Freaking spooked the hell out of me!

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wouldn't these be an awesome crime deterrent? Have a couple of them out in your living room, and if a thief broke in they'd probably either have a heart attack or hurt themselves in their panic to get out! {D {D

i kept one outside the house, and went inside and made a webbing, it would acctually make your mother go panic and then the next moment is that you will be the one webbing outside the house. you can only make a web back on your room if someone will let you in.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they get bigger than that! :)

not too good at catching flies either, the web spaces are usually too big, unless the fly is impaired. great for grasshoppers and well...birds.