does anyone have any ideas what this is?

ladizzlee

Arachnopeon
so i was cleaning the shop i work at and i found this spider. it looks super cool and i want to keep it lol but i dont know if its worth it or not. please help me out. )8 lol

oh and sorry for the huge pictures.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hmmm.... I almost want to say it is some type of Widow.... in 2nd pic, that webbing looks like cribellated webbing... and I am unsure of its' ventral pattern...

It does look like a very cool-looking spider! Nice find! :clap:

The perfect person to ask about this would be Widowman10-maybe he will drop by for a look.

Good luck and keep us updated, OK? I would like to know what it is too! :?

S.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Parasteatoda tepidariorum

or, in blander terms, the common house spider

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm...I don't think that's a Parasteatoda...

Wild guess: ..Pirata sp.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm...I don't think that's a Parasteatoda...

Wild guess: ..Pirata sp.
Pirata? Those are wolf spiders. What would it be doing in that kind of a web?

This thing looks a typical theridiidae - at least to me. Dull colored theridiid found indoors

Tsathoggua

Arachnopeon
I didn't think Uloborid spiders ever got that large.

From the scrappy halfarsed web style, and the body shape, I would hazard a guess at Latrodectus geometricus, the brown widow.

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are cribellate orbweavers, and feed on anything that gets stuck in their webs (flies, moths ecc.). However, the orb is built on a horizontal plane (not vertical like in most orbweavers), so give him some horizontal space.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
I hate to disagree with anyone here... but this is not a L. geometricus. They aren't cribellate weavers. At least mine isn't... {D

To the OP... can you post more pics? Ventral and dorsal shots and one of the palps?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pirata? Those are wolf spiders. What would it be doing in that kind of a web?

This thing looks a typical theridiidae - at least to me. Dull colored theridiid found indoors
DOH! My bad..I meant "pirate spiders." Thought I had the right genus name. ( turns out they're Mimetus spp. )

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
LOL, believe me, there are plenty more around! Aaaand.... now you know what it is! {D

I live at the opposite end of Florida, and I have yet to see one of these... that's why I wasn't sure what it was. :?

If you find another, post more pics, OK? I am quite interested in these, and would love to observe one! Thanks for sharing! S.