Does anyone have a picture?

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Does anyone have a picture of a Grammostola sp. "red concepcion" or a direct link to one? I have run searches like crazy and can't find an actual picture of one. Google images is frustrating. If anyone has a picture of one, or a direct link to a picture, I would be grateful if you could post it here. Thanks.

At first I was curious to know if it was the same as a G. rosea RCF but from the searches I've done here I understand that it is not the same - at least according to the most recent post I found from the end of 09.

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think Mackenzie and Cassandra have some in their photo thread.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
G. Cala = Red Concepcion

There is some debate on this locale & label, but here is a specimen Toni:

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Thank you, both! If anyone else wants to post, I would love to see more pictures.

I did see something about G. cala when I was searching for pictures, but didn't know that was what I was looking at. Thank you for that explanation.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is a gorgeous T! Get one! Better yet, get two, make babies, and send me some {D

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey sharpfang,

Can we get some more shots, specifically of the scopulae on the metatarsus of legs 1 and 2 (either side)? From that angle, I don't see enlarged scopulae.

Enlarged scopulae on the metatarsus is a for sure sign of a red concepcion (or at least what has been orginally imported as red concepcion).

No enlarged scopulae = NOT a red concepcion.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am familiar w/ that specific

But the Blissful T is no longer in my possesion {had 3}....and that was the Only Pic I kept......I may have a baby from her in the T-Room still......

Thanx for inquiring though, Dragon Lover :D I have been under much scrutiny lately :razz: Not Rocket-Science people - Just Tarantulas - Try 2 enjoy the Hobby - Jason :)

P.S. GL w/ finding a specimen Toni - You seem really Cool ;)

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But the Blissful T is no longer in my possesion {had 3}....and that was the Only Pic I kept......I may have a baby from her in the T-Room still......

Thanx for inquiring though, Dragon Lover :D I have been under much scrutiny lately :razz: Not Rocket-Science people - Just Tarantulas - Try 2 enjoy the Hobby - Jason :)

P.S. GL w/ finding a specimen Toni - You seem really Cool ;)
No scrutiny from me, just coincidental that you were the one that posted a picture. :) I was just wondering, that's all.

I've found that there are many hobbyists that do not realize the major difference, I just thought it should be mentioned in the thread.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So how can you tell the difference between these and the RCF? What do I need to look at? And make it simple lol.

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought this female from Todd Gearhart as a G. Concepcion. This what you are looking for?

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
If I'm not mistaken (which I could very well be) there is a difference between a Grammostola sp. concepcion and a Grammostola sp. red concepcion. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong about that.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I'm not mistaken (which I could very well be) there is a difference between a Grammostola sp. concepcion and a Grammostola sp. red concepcion. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong about that.
As far as I personally know, no there is no difference. Then again it's been a while since I have read anything on them, and I've been away from the tarantula hobby for a little while, up until recently.. so something could have changed.

And Tim, yes that is indeed a sp. concepcion. Notice the enlarged scopulae on the metatarsus.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Todd has Imported Many Sp. Red Concepcion - and has Great Prices on them 4 U All

One example I sent to him - Very Red, was actually a Red Rose and difference discussed, did Not mean to send him FLOWERS :p
The difference like Bliss said, is underneath the legs....harder to see from above view Tim = Not just a color difference - there are Red Color Form G. Rosea's 2 :p
They used to be reffered to as Grammostola Sp. Red Concepcion {a locale near Maule {more White-Haired}, where 9.4 earthquake occured - Chile}
Many just label them: Grammostola Cala, but, this is debated, and I do Not beleive Official. Interesting to note as well: Grammostola Genus, has been name changed numerous times, like Aphonopelmas = Hobbyists preffer Grammostola, to avoid further confusion :? :cool:

GL to All who keep them and other T's - Grammo's live quite awhile - & some of my Mexican Aphonopelma F Specimens, may Outlive me - :worship: - Jason

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a link to what scopulae is.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spydawebb/feet.html

Except it will be on the metatarsus...
http://giantspiders.com/leg.jpg

So in other words, looking at the tarantula from a top view, the 2nd leg "segment" going from the bottom up will be enlarged. The big "pad" looking thing is the enlarged scopulae, they are used for good traction while climbing. A better description can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopulae

that's the best way I can explain it right off the top of my head. It would be also important to note that to most people, it's easier to determine scopulae size by a bottom (or underneath) view of the tarantula.