Does anyone feed their t's feeder lizards

losct2381

Arachnosquire
I have read in alot of national geographic reports on tarantulas of them eating lizard in the wild. Anyone have any comments or suggestions on this before I try it on one of my t's

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
iv fed several of my larger T's, minimum size of 6inches and only T's that would encounter them in the wild but that probably doesnt matter.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have also fed the odd anole to a few of my larger poeci's.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
Yeah I got a nine inch t- spinipes that I'm gonna try it with. I also have a full grown adult g.rosea that's about 5 3/4 to 6 that I think I'm gonna try it with too. she's a garbage truck anything I throw in their at anytime is done so think I'll tryit with her too

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Some people have fed anoles either from breeding stock or pet stores. But it is not very common. I don't really see it as necessary either.

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah I got a nine inch t- spinipes that I'm gonna try it with. I also have a full grown adult g.rosea that's about 5 3/4 to 6 that I think I'm gonna try it with too. she's a garbage truck anything I throw in their at anytime is done so think I'll tryit with her too
spinipes would be fine but a rosea i would jus keep on inverts.

Some people have fed anoles either from breeding stock or pet stores. But it is not very common. I don't really see it as necessary either.
Agree, NOT necessary at all

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't do it for the same reason I wouldn't feed mice.

1. It's not a necessity.
2. Calcium which is bad for T's when they molt. (An anole is a vertebrate so wouldn't it contain calcium? I mean I don't think it would be as much as a mouse but still.)
3. Why feed a live vertebrate just because you want to see your T take down something bigger than a roach or cricket?

losct2381

Arachnosquire
I didnt want to try for entertainment I was looking more towards nutrition a moisture. At no moment did I say I thought it entertaining to watch. And from what I have been reading calcium is a problem for aboreal t's. Not sure if it's a fact or not but I read somewhere that terrestrial t's need a certain amour of calcium. But again I was looking at it more towards nutrition and moisture content .

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didnt want to try for entertainment I was looking more towards nutrition a moisture. At no moment did I say I thought it entertaining to watch. And from what I have been reading calcium is a problem for aboreal t's. Not sure if it's a fact or not but I read somewhere that terrestrial t's need a certain amour of calcium. But again I was looking at it more towards nutrition and moisture content .
Tarantula's don't have bones so how could T's benefit from it? It would be most harmful to your larger T's like Theraphosa species, many people report molting problems because they feed them mice and what not. If you want nutrition just feed roaches, it would be better for them than any lizard/vertebrate.

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crickets are a staple diet for all tarantulas (of all sizes). If you are concerned about nutrition you can gut load your crickets with various fruits and vegetables or actual gut load. If you are concerned about varitey offer them an occasional roach or super-worm. I found a pet store that sells extra-large crickets for $1.25 per dozen (they are massive).

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Crickets are a staple diet for all tarantulas (of all sizes). If you are concerned about nutrition you can gut load your crickets with various fruits and vegetables or actual gut load. If you are concerned about varitey offer them an occasional roach or super-worm. I found a pet store that sells extra-large crickets for $1.25 per dozen (they are massive).

Not my tarantulas.:p
Most anoles are WC, and can be riddled with parasites. No thanks.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
1. It's not a necessity.
2. Calcium which is bad for T's when they molt. (An anole is a vertebrate so wouldn't it contain calcium? I mean I don't think it would be as much as a mouse but still.)
Not picking on you at all, Sleazoid, and I agree that it's not a necessity, but the calcium issue is still very much anecdotal and poorly understood. I personally would like to see something to back up these claims(not from you specifically;)). In my overly simplistic understanding of calcium content, wouldn't the vert's skeleton be the primary source of calcium in the animal? In the few times that I have fed verts to large Ts, the remains of the skeleton are cast off into the bolus. Again, no battle being attempted here, just satisfying some curiosity on the matter.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not picking on you at all, Sleazoid, and I agree that it's not a necessity, but the calcium issue is still very much anecdotal and poorly understood. I personally would like to see something to back up these claims(not from you specifically;)). In my overly simplistic understanding of calcium content, wouldn't the vert's skeleton be the primary source of calcium in the animal? In the few times that I have fed verts to large Ts, the remains of the skeleton are cast off into the bolus. Again, no battle being attempted here, just satisfying some curiosity on the matter.
Yeah, I couldn't back it up either. It is just what I have heard around the hobby, not about feeder lizards but more so from mice. Even though mice could harm the T's and these anole's couldn't. But I would just think it isn't a good idea to begin with and isn't necessary.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To me, that's much more of a concern with feeding verts.
Fair enough, but I make it a policy not to feed anything WC, even if parasite/bacteria/viral/etc. is unlikely. There's also a chance the anoles may have been exposed to pesticides. The mess which would result is also a concern.

If/when I ever get mantids, I might feed them WC, but T's are more expensive than mantids (and longer-lived, mantids only live a season at most.)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't feed vertebrates to invertebrates for a couple reasons.

1.) I don't really have any interest in watching. If I did, I'd go on YouTube.

2.) I don't want to see what a mouse or lizard food bolus would look like..

3.) Why? They don't need it. That's a pricey meal that could have been spent on hundreds of crickets, superworms, waxworms, etc.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Feeder Anoles

I would not recommend them for the tarantulas per say. I sell them mostly too zoos that need them for a certain type of bird and to a few people that have snakes that only eat anoles or small lizards. Some people buy them just to have a 100 anole pets too ;)

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I would not recommend them for the tarantulas per say. I sell them mostly too zoos that need them for a certain type of bird and to a few people that have snakes that only eat anoles or small lizards. Some people buy them just to have a 100 anole pets too ;)
Thanks for clearing that up Ken.

Tom