does anybody keep vinegaroons

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
does anybody keep these? i was reading some about them tonight, they look pretty cool, and sound easy to keep.

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah this should be in another forum but I do keep them. They are a must for a invert collection. This is right atop the list of my favorite inverts. They are so cool to watch eat and very good at getting crickets.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have kept them for quite some time and yes they are easy to keep. If anything they require more food than Ts but that's about it.

Phil

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
aaaaaah, i'm still searching to get some of those,....:D

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We caught a couple while in Carlsbad, NM. My daughter came home with one given to her by none other than MrDeranged. She likes to hold hers. So far it has been very easy to keep. I hope they are fairly long lived or I'll be in trouble. The little girl doesn't handle pet-death very well.

Botar

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Botar
The little girl doesn't handle pet-death very well.

Botar
The trick is to buy enough so that she doesn't notice if one dies.... ;)

Scott

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep them on a substrate 3" or more deep with a large flat rock laid on top for them to dig under. I also have additional rocks burried underneath to prevent them from undermining underneath the whole rock to prevent colapse. I try to maintain subtererranean mositure while letting the top dry out.

In the summertime, they're pretty voracious and will eat as much as you give them. IME, they seal themselves in burrows for most of the winter and eat nothing. I've never tried to heat the cages individually, that might keep them active all the time, but I like having them on a somewhat natural cycle. I think gaving the ability too seal themselves in a burrow is really important for molting immatures. The young ones I'm keeping invariably emerge in the spring freshly molted. They appear to molt once a year, indicating very slow growth, suggesting a fairly long life. 3 years is the number I've heard the most, but I had a wild collected individual that lived for more than 4, and it was an adult when I got it.

Wade

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'm thinking that I need to put some rocks in my female's enclosure. She keeps digging like a fiend, and then her burrows seem to collapse. She doesn't seem to mind a whole lot, she just keeps digging new ones! She will actively chase crickets down, and grab 2 at a time. They are a blast to watch, and they make awesome pets!