Does any of your tarantulas do this?

Toastie

Arachnopeon
My sling has molted recently and ever since, I have caught it in some questionable stances with 2 or 3 legs curled up and it's just dormant, which made me panic a little but I found it in a different position after a few hours, just chilling.

Is this some kind of underlying issue or is it just being a spood? IMG20211128152153.jpg

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Yep. They'll pull all kinds of strange positions while they stretch and get used to their new exoskeleton

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Normal, don’t worry. I’ve been watching mine do all kinds of weird stuff since a bunch of them decided to molt recently.

Do you have anything for it to hide under in that cup? For my smaller slings, I have some moss in there or a single fake leaf for a tiny bit of coverage.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
My sling has molted recently and ever since, I have caught it in some questionable stances with 2 or 3 legs curled up and it's just dormant, which made me panic a little but I found it in a different position after a few hours, just chilling.

Is this some kind of underlying issue or is it just being a spood?
Spood being a spood doing typical spood things!
Several of my slings and juvies are just like that, h. pulchripes being the oddest, followed by the n. coloratovillosus, the c. darlingi, then the n. incei, the t. albopilosum. They’re all avid participants of spider yoga.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
Its normal, sometimes my ts curl up all their legs underneath except one, and give me a heart attack as I think that it's dead, as it slowly uncurls and walks away :grumpy:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
My P. Regalis is doing this currently.

Toastie

Arachnopeon
Do you have anything for it to hide under in that cup? For my smaller slings, I have some moss in there or a single fake leaf for a tiny bit of coverage.
I do have a hide but it rarely uses it. Likes to hang on the walls instead ',:/

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I do have a hide but it rarely uses it. Likes to hang on the walls instead ',:/
I hear you on that. I have one arboreal that refuses to use its cork bark and hang on the walls 24/7. It’s been months since I transferred it and that’s just it’s preferred location. I also have a terrestrial that does the same thing. I used to get annoyed, but now it’s more of a ‘whatever’ attitude and let them do their thing.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
After a molt you can expect quite a bit of weird positions, is colloquially called tarantula yoga, and it’s perfectly normal. Also it looks as if it is grooming itself which is also perfectly normal and healthy behavior.

tarantulas do quite a bit of “odd” things that are normal for them all the time, we often only just see a small percentage of the behavior since we can’t watch them 24/7