Does a green tree frog enclousure need a false bottom?

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Not a Green Tree Frog (Hyla cinerea) after all.
Squirrel Frog - hyla squirella

Maybe in a 12x12x18 exo-terra with a glass top.
With pothos, wandering jew, sphagnum moss, and a water bowl.
I currently have this setup. It was going to be for millipedes, but I'm pretty sure the plants have spread thier roots all over the place by now.

From my reading, I think green tree frogs require a 50-60% humidity level (correct me if im wrong).
My apartment ranges from 50-57% normally, the substrate stays moist,
so would I not need to mist heavily?

Last edited:

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I would say yes, it needs a drainage layer. I keep geckos and have kept frogs with set ups very very close to this (basically just without the wondering Jew) and have accidentally flooded them a number of times, just watering the plants as needed. So if you think you may over mist or you plan on getting a misting system, DEFINITELY add a drainage layer.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
I would mist regularly to ensure the frogs are staying moist; so yes, false bottom. They're easy to do and are cheap, especially if you go the egg crate/pvc method. If you have a few extra bucks laying around you can go the matala option and literally have one made in about 5 minutes.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
That species live in my state but not my area, but I have visited the area often. From what I observe in the wild when I was around the area they are in wetland/marsh like areas. Sometimes they chill with other species of frogs such as there cousin the Hyla squirella, hiding under rotted logs and under marshy bushes by the water. They are nocturnal though, and they can be quick sometimes when they feel exposed to seeing my flashlight. I can't give you care advice since I never kept them in captivity but I hope this helps.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Okiedoke, I'll make a drainage layer.

Sometimes they chill with other species of frogs such as there cousin the Hyla squirella,
Oh hmm, It actually looks a lot more like a Hyla squirella than a Hyla cinerea.
I inherited it after buying a 10-gallon tank off craiglist.

I would mist regularly to ensure the frogs are staying moist; so yes, false bottom. They're easy to do and are cheap, especially if you go the egg crate/pvc method. If you have a few extra bucks laying around you can go the matala option and literally have one made in about 5 minutes.
I do like the look of a green matala.
How thick of a layer should I aim for, in your opinion?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Okiedoke, I'll make a drainage layer.

Oh hmm, It actually looks a lot more like a Hyla squirella than a Hyla cinerea.
I inherited it after buying a 10-gallon tank off craiglist.

They're easy to tell apart. If it has a bold white striping on the side then it's most likely a H. cinera. If it has a thin lining or one that's barely noticeable then it's most likely a H. squirella. Why not post a picture of the frog and some pictures of it on the side, top, back, and front for proper ID.

Last edited:

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
I usually go 1 1/2" to 2", pending the size of the tank, but if you're using matala just use one or two layers; probably one in your case. I also just have a PVC tube slightly wider than my siphon hose stuck down into the false bottom that I use to drain out water periodically. Some people use turkey basters, but that sounds laborious and also terrible.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
They're easy to tell apart. If it has a bold white striping on the side then it's most likely a H. cinera. If it has a thin lining or one that's barely noticeable then it's most likely a H. squirella. Why not post a picture of the frog and some pictures of it on the side, top, back, and front for proper ID.
There is no bold white stripe.
Here are some pictures, I couldn't do all the angels due to his position under a leaf.
IMG-2960.JPG IMG-2961.JPG IMG-2962.JPG

Liquifin

Arachnoking
There is no bold white stripe.
Here are some pictures, I couldn't do all the angels due to his position under a leaf.
View attachment 322501 View attachment 322502 View attachment 322503
Hard to say what is. Even i'm not sure since it looks odd. Looks like some type Hyla sp. but even I'm not confident on what it is. There are around 7-9 species of Hyla sp. in NC and I'm not too certain by looking at it alone. I'm afraid this one is out of my expertise at the moment, but each Hyla species have there own distinctive mating calls. If this was a male you could use it's mating call as a reference to get closer on a better ID. But as of now, I'm not too sure myself.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
If this was a male you could use it's mating call as a reference to get closer on a better ID.
He started making some calls, I'm not sure if it was a mating call since it was at noon. That's about the time the humidty around here gets highest, so maybe a rain call?
It sounded like a little duck, it matched with other hyla squirella on youtube: just like this
Thanks for posting! I don't think I would've questioned its true identiy otherwise.