Documentary film: Pelinobius - The King Baboon Spider and the man-eating lions of Tsavo

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
I highly recommend this film to any tarantula enthusiast. Andrew Smith (who already made great documentaries about Brachypelma and Lasiodora) explores the history of the men who discovered the type specimens in Africa in the late 19th century, and the developing taxonomy of the spiders - and some other genera as well. This film is almost 3 hours long and provides film footage from the wild, as well as a lot of context - and I mean A LOT of context. I love it.

I suggest supporting the team:

<Please message the OP privately for the link>

The next documentary (Poecilotheria) is already in the making. Can't wait to see that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen the trailer on YouTube. Looks really interesting. I still haven't jumped on the Brachypelma DVD, but given my love for the genus, I really should while it's still available ! I had seen the Lasiodora one on YouTube while it was there, it's a great documentary. I probably should go for all 3. They'd look great next to my tarantula "horror" flicks ;)

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Shipping the physical DVDs to the US might be costly, I'm not sure. You can download all full length documentaries on their website. I also highly recommend "Desert Tarantulas", which is an older one.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
The Brachypelma dokumentary was awesome, i saw it when it was still free on their youtube channel, i am still waiting on the poecilotheria doku however in hopes of a "bundle" :)

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Shipping the physical DVDs to the US might be costly, I'm not sure. You can download all full length documentaries on their website. I also highly recommend "Desert Tarantulas", which is an older one.
I ordered one of the DVD bundles to Kansas this morning and it didn't charge me anything extra; I'll post any changes.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Thanks for sharing 🙂. Looks like it’s really reasonably priced for the US and includes shipping. Not sure why I didn’t get a YT notification on the promo video since I’m subscribed to his channel.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Ordered it on the day it was released, along with the brachypelma DVDs hoping I could watch everything on Christmas break but still not here. Looks like it takes longer than I've expected

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
More in accordance with the forum rules as stated by the moderator (thank you very much for the kind conversation), the main page can be found under

lovetarantulas dot com.

...but still not here. Looks like it takes longer than I've expected
Since Brexit, shipping times across the Channel have been so erratic - and overall longer - I chose digital right away. Across the big water westwards... what can i say? I once sent a christmas present to the US mid-November. It arrived in mid-January.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Since Brexit, shipping times across the Channel have been so erratic - and overall longer - I chose digital right away. Across the big water westwards... what can i say? I once sent a christmas present to the US mid-November. It arrived in mid-January.
I understand, I went with physical because I wanted the collection aspect of having tarantula books, documentaries, etc. Also, I had Andrew Smith sign my copy which is so exciting.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I understand, I went with physical because I wanted the collection aspect of having tarantula books, documentaries, etc. Also, I had Andrew Smith sign my copy which is so exciting.
Thats pretty cool, how’ you swing that?

With mail slower during the holidays and international shipping I think I’m likely to go with the digital format. Although I think it would be awesome to have the physical to put on my T shelf. Who knows I may do both, <edit>.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After some more thought, I'm definitely going for all 3, but I will wait until next week when things settle down a little bit. It's nice to have "decent" documentaries that stick to the facts and are void of sensationalism like so many recent stuff by National Geographic or Animal Planet to give a couple of examples. The other thing I would like would be to have the first tarantula documentary, the one focusing on Theraphosa blondi and its relation to the Piaroa people of Venezuela, to be available in DVD format. I know it's out there in old VHS form, but I'd rather it in a more practical format. Who knows ? Maybe Andrew Smith will eventually get the rights to do just that.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Just got mine today! They're signed! I don't know if I can post the pictures here lol