Documentaries?

Pokeroo

Arachnopeon
Any Tarantula documentaries available or about spiders/inverts that feature T's that are worth a watch? Freely available would be a plus

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Watch the one that has a centipede, which, despite its impressive length, is a nimble navigator. Like the tarantula, the centipede has two curved, hollow fangs, which inject paralyzing venom.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I don't like tarantula documentaries (least the ones I've seen)... Most of the footage is staged (including forcing creatures that wouldn't normally come across eachother to fight) and misinformation is spread.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't like tarantula documentaries (least the ones I've seen)... Most of the footage is staged (including forcing creatures that wouldn't normally come across eachother to fight) and misinformation is spread.
Bob now you're being buzzkill for the new people, don't you know we need them to use critical thinking skills to determine if a 50 foot radioactive tarantula is real or not. I'm disappointed Bob!

Leila

Arachnobaron
"The Spider Hunter" on Youtube....:shifty::shifty::sour:

They feature a T hobbyist as some sort of monster- something akin to a sociopath. (my personal interpretation of their portrayal of the man)
"..things nightmares are made of..."
"..has over 300 tarantulas..."
Blah blah blah.
And whhhhhhyyyyy the horror movie music..?:meh:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
don't you know we need them to use critical thinking skills to determine if a 50 foot radioactive tarantula is real or not.
If we let them do that, there would be more "I cin't fimd wear to bye my riodaktvie charatula plies hilp¿?¡!" than "My t is dying HELP!!" threads.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I prefer the ones that are, you know...about the animals, not the people. The ones of wildlife footage with narration explaining what is happening are the kind I like.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I prefer the ones that are, you know...about the animals, not the people. The ones of wildlife footage with narration explaining what is happening are the kind I like.
The second one I clicked on just now said a 5ft (length) T exists.... ::sigh::

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
There is some footage that is legitimate and cool, like finding Pterinochilus lugardi in the wild...

But unfortunately the majority are not very... enlightening.

Pokeroo

Arachnopeon
Yes that's exactly the type of thing I'm trying to avoid on YouTube. That and large tarantula toys chasing dogs etc lol

Leila

Arachnobaron
@Pokeroo, I do hope someone here knows of an interesting documentary about tarantulas. I would love to see one :)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yes that's exactly the type of thing I'm trying to avoid on YouTube. That and large tarantula toys chasing dogs etc lol
The one I just linked is very nice (though I don't recommend to anyone to try and grab an OW with bare hands).

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Long story short, most documentaries - no matter the topic - aren't worthy of bearing that designation.

The purpose shifted from educational to entertainment by 100%.
I'd go as far to suggest a law (talking EU here) to prevent this. Education should be considered holy, sacred, most valuable, and treated accordingly. Instead anyone can create a 'documentary' and spread tons of lies, misinformation and only help making the masses even more stupid.
And yes, I just claimed that most people are indeed stupid. Please proof me wrong, I'd never be so happy about being wrong in my life, really.

Le sigh!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Long story short, most documentaries - no matter the topic - aren't worthy of bearing that designation.

The purpose shifted from educational to entertainment by 100%.
I couldn't agree more. The ones I see now are terrible compared to what I grew up with, just terrible. Entertaining the masses, keep them complacent.....

Pokeroo

Arachnopeon
There is some footage that is legitimate and cool, like finding Pterinochilus lugardi in the wild...

But unfortunately the majority are not very... enlightening.
Watched this today. Pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I've been on the hunt for them too, and have combed through just about every platform that has documentaries...hubby and I are big documentary people in general.
Unfortunately there's not much. I've seen quite a few that use the wrong names.

I wish there was a solid, accurate 2+ hour documentary...

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I think I have 3 or 4 of them downloaded, and I wish they were better than they are. They seem to focus on and reinforce people's negative reactions and misconceptions of tarantulas for at least some of the runtime.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The worst show ever made is "Monster Bug Wars" they literally do exactly that. Only they add sound effects of pigs and other animals squealing. As if a spider or insect could growl in that way... imagine what the uneducated viewers must think.

Magenta

Arachnosquire
Ugh, GOOD LORD.. I hate the shows that make up animal fights. "What if a T-rex and a megladon got into a fight?!" Really? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Unfortunately, that's the only type of invert documentary I'm able to find. I was flipping through Netflix videos and saw one that said "Most Deadly..." on the cover was a B. smithi. Ok, dude.:rolleyes: