Docile T?? Looking for a new friend

spiderladyaaa

Arachnopeon
Good morning yall.:) Im looking for a very docile T. Red leg? Rose Hair? Ive always heard the red leg is a very docile one but ive never seen it in a pet store. all i ever see is rosies. ive even asked two stores if the could get me one, they take my name and number and i never hear from them again. Im a one T at a time gal. I just lost my last T i had for 4yrs.:( But i know yall have alot more experiance in this than me, with all the Ts i see on yall posts. so i was just looking to see if yall had any suggjestions. :eek: Thanks so much, and evy1 be blessed.:)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recommend a G. Pulchripes. Large, even tempered, and lovely gold knees that just pop.

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Well no personal experience but I constantly see the G. rosea being compared to a pet rock, sometimes with the pet rock being more entertaining.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I will throw in another vote for G. pulchripes. Easy to look after, typically "docile" and im my experience, a little more predictable and interesting then a G. rosea. Both of my pulchripes like to redecorate their homes, and are usually out on display. I see my rosea move pretty much only when I feed her.

The B. smithi would be fine also, although mine is much quicker to kick hairs then my pulchripes and rosea.

My first tarantula was a G. pulchripes (she is now a 5.5" confirmed female) and I would recommend them to anyone. :) However, it really all depends on what you are looking for, terrestrial, arboreal, size, color etc.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I vote Avicularia.In my expeirence,Avic's are more even tempered than rosea.That,and the webbing is another selling point. The tube webs are amazing;brachy's and grammo's do not do much but sit there.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. pulchra I would think. Even though I do not have one they are just lovely to look at. Oh and if you can get a Avic, that would be good too, I agree with BrettG on this one.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dont bother buying from a pet store. Order them online. You'll save money, you'll get what you want, it will probably be much healthier, and you can get much better advice from the online dealers then the pet stores. "for the most part"

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dont bother buying from a pet store. Order them online. You'll save money, you'll get what you want, it will probably be much healthier, and you can get much better advice from the online dealers then the pet stores. "for the most part"
even though I'm a big newbie I have to agree. Every pet store I've ever been to that sells T's is under the impression that all T's are the same and have next to no clue how to care for one propery.
Just Last week I saw a juvenile Cobalt Blue at petco in mid molt. I returned the next day for cat food and to ask about it, and they told me it had flipped onto its back the day before and died. I asked what happened and they said his skin had split open. I (not so very politely) educated them on molting and asked AGAIN what had happened to it. They threw it away. (before they were a hundred percent sure it was dead)

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah a LPS here has a H.lividum sling without any substrate. I told them that they need substrate for it because its a burrowing species. She told me thats why they got rid of the substrate it had. It kept burrowing and they couldnt see it.

I facepalmed and left.:wall::wall:

spiderladyaaa

Arachnopeon
omg, your so right!! when i went to the pet store awhile back they had a rose hair that i would always look at when id go in and get crickets. well one day it was gone and i asked if it had been bought. she said they thought it was dead, i asked why and she said it was on its back, so they flipped it back over. i said noooooo... it was trying to molt probably and said to flip it back over and give it a day or so. but im pretty sure with everything they had done to it, it didnt make it. why do they have employees that dont know how to take care of exotics? :confused: if its not a bird or a fish the poor things are in trouble.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
G. pulchra I would think. Even though I do not have one they are just lovely to look at. Oh and if you can get a Avic, that would be good too, I agree with BrettG on this one.
Most definitely! I have 9, and they are all great.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Spiderlady, + yet another for G pulchra. B. emilia would also be an excellent choice.

Welcome aboard and btw, what part of La?

:)

Terry

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The Grammostola spp. are known for their mood swing so be carefull.

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
another vote for G. pulchripes....

My 7inch female is the most docile out of my collection....never kicks hairs...always out in the open....and eats large prey such as hissers....very entertaining....

spiderladyaaa

Arachnopeon
wow guys thanks so much for the replys! :D
so far the G. pulchra is ahead. i looked it up and veryyy pretty and says docile, but of course they all have differnt temperments and good and bad days im sure..lol;) I live in south louisiana, very hot and humid. i cant stand it. i so much more enjoy winter. and im not crazy about the sun either. lol
I live in a small town about an hour from Lafayette. Thanks so much for all the suggjestions and info:D evy1 be blessed!

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow guys thanks so much for the replys! :D
so far the G. pulchra is ahead. i looked it up and veryyy pretty and says docile, but of course they all have differnt temperments and good and bad days im sure..lol;) I live in south louisiana, very hot and humid. i cant stand it. i so much more enjoy winter. and im not crazy about the sun either. lol
I live in a small town about an hour from Lafayette. Thanks so much for all the suggjestions and info:D evy1 be blessed!
I wouldn't plan on G pulchra for a first T. Too expensive. Otherwise fine, though. The other Brachypelmas are nice, though in my experience boehmei and vagans are a bit unfriendly.

It's actually B.S. that rosies are pet rocks. Kind of a pet peeve of mine that people say that. They behave the same way as other docile terrestrial tarantulas. The thing is that so many of them are owned by newbies that people who don't know better think the behaviors they observe (unpredictability, fasting, not doing anything) are specific to rosies. They are not. Those behaviors are common to all that class of tarantula (Brachypelma, Grammostola). A rose hair is highly recommended for a newbie. Excellent starter. The red color form is particularly attractive and all forms are cheap.

The only real downside is that rosies tend to be wild caught, and I don't like to support that.

If you want a docile starter T, stick with G pulchripes or B albopilosum. They are cheap, easy, and super docile.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One more for G. pulchripes. I haveone and my girlfriend has one also. They are both extremely docile. I highly recommend them. They are docile and colorful. Perfect combo and the perfect spider for you :D

jb62

Arachnosquire
I'd choose - curly hair,Pink zebra beauty,Brazilian black or white collard.
they are very docile and the last one grows to three inches only.