Docile T?? Looking for a new friend

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
G. aureostriata - Giant Golden Knee
An absolutely sweet tarantula, and nice size to boot.
I can't say enough about this spider.

My other choice would be B. emilia or smithi.
A. chalcodes. Subdued colors, but just try and get one of these guys
to bite.

Lots to choose from, but those would be my top choices.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd have to say E. campestratus. Mine has never shown a sign of defensiveness, and I think she's beautiful, too. My G. pulchripes has kicked at me more than once when changing out her water dish. But I don't handle them, so she might just be alarmed by me messing around in there.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I tend to forget that.
It's not that I forget that it's now pulchripes, I just like the sound of aureostriata, so I go with that ... everybody knows what I'm talking about - so if I say "gold stripe," or "gold knee," or "chaco," or "aureostriata," everybody knows I'm talking about the G. pulchripes.

And I give my second-place vote to the aureostriata - er, pulchripes - but think about the GBB if you're looking for docility - mine's the most docile of my bunch. (And my vagans - well, let's just say I am the Clarisse to his Hannibal Lecter - I'll approach him only if he is safely behind bars ....:eek:)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spiderlady~ What would help us in suggesting an appropriate T for you, would be a price range. If you want to get an adult of many of these species, it will cost you a pretty penny. So, if you could give us a budget for your tarantula, correct substrate, correct amount of substrate and shipping,(I know you have a tank) we could give you a better idea of what you can get, instead of just telling you what our favorites are. :D My personal favorite starter would be an Avicularia avicularia(Pinktoe), but it is an arboreal and not terrestrial like your G. rosea was.

I would also recommend picking up a copy of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide to go with the new tarantula, or borrowing it from the library.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just like the sound of aureostriata, so I go with that ... everybody knows what I'm talking about
But that's not good reasoning. People that are new to the hobby don't know & may get frustrated when they are told to get a G. aureostriata. I know I was very upset when I thought they had disappeared from the hobby when I got back into Ts. Then I found out just the name had just changed.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
But that's not good reasoning. People that are new to the hobby don't know & may get frustrated when they are told to get a G. aureostriata.
{D Gotta disagree Niki - I'm not telling anybody to get a G. aureostriata, I'm saying I like the sound (and meaning) of aureostriata, and I'd like to see that terminology live on as yet another common name for G pulchripes ... I haven't heard anybody yet call me out for referring to my pulchripes as a Chaco, or a "Gold-Knee" or a "Gold Stripes" (which, by the way, is exactly what "aureostriata" means in Latin - but don't you agree that aureostriata trips off the tongue more musically than gold-stripes? - and pulchripes, for that matter?!?!) - and if referring to my G. pulchripes as an aureostriata brands me as unreasonable .. SO BE IT :D (and it ain't my fault if the eggheads can't make up their darned minds :rolleyes: )

But so not to go too far afield from the original intent of this thread, again I say, consider the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens if you're looking for T Love - worked for me (totally unexpectedly - it didn't occur to me that GBBs are handleable until one day my GBB handled ME - he ran up my hand as I was doing some enclosure-keeping, and sat placidly on my thumb-and-index-finger joint of my left hand as I cleaned house with my right - it was rather flattering, and, if I may anthropomorphize just a tad, it's been a cordial relationship ever since!)

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gentle T's

Lots of choices here! in fact almoast ANY of the pet-rock genuses will do. Aphonopelma, Grammostola, and Brachypelma. A few exceptions to the rule, however, would be A Moderatum, B Boehmei, and any of the B "red rumps". In general, among the 3 broad genuses, the Brachys seem to grow a little quicker, but in general are also more likely to flick hair. Really though, you can't go wrong with almost anything out of these three.