Docile OW?

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering.. There're so many different new world species that are docile (in other words, more tolerant than others), there has to be atleast 1 old world species that's some what more tolerable than other OW species :? or maybe they're all defensive, idk {D ideass? thank you in advance!

Rob1985

This user has no status.
E.pachypus,aka "Stoutleg Baboon"
+1 on that, I had a female. Awesome burrower and a cool T. She was quite nervous and never got defensive on me.

She died for unknown reasons though. I know that's a hard species to keep in captivity as well.

Last edited:

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
+1 on that, I had a female. Awesome burrower and a cool T. She was quite nervous and never got defensive on me.

She died for unknown reasons though. I know that's a hard species to keep in captivity as well.
I had the same experience. A week before she was perfectly fine. Her enclosure was kept alongside other babooons and then suddenly she curls up...

On a different note, she was throwing the threat poses each time I open the lid of her delicup.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a baboon? that's the last OW i would've expected to be tolerant :} those or haplos :wall:
I thought the same thing, but then did a search of these boards and two things came up pretty often: 1. More calm than other baboons 2. Pet hole

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
E.pachypus,aka "Stoutleg Baboon"

mine does a really comical dance when you disturb her, i just did a rehouse and she did the dance and then went mental when i tried to coax her into a cricket tub, like a crawshayi without the stridulating. I too had my last pachypus die, there was a weird chalky substance around the spinnerette/anus area that never went away. I think it was reminants of a bad moult which caused an anal blockage, impaction and then death. I examined the area afterwards and it was so thick it went right inside the membrane of the abdomen. Theres no end of stories about pachypus deaths, they have stranger requirements than blondis apparently, however, nobody has discovered a sure fire way of meeting them. I hope i have more luck with this lady, i got her from cold blooded in rainham about 6 weeks ago and shes eating, drinking, pooping fine and she isnt afraid to stand her ground! Every specimen has totally different temprament, but i have heard numerous people say their pachypus is docile but mine isnt, not in the least

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My P.Chordatus is my calmest OW, She wiggles at "predators" and if I disturb her she fang taps over and over instead of trying to bite.

This is within reason however, if I prodded at her too much i'm sure she would bite, this is from a 3" juvie though.

So i'm not sure if she will stay like that.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mine does a really comical dance when you disturb her, i just did a rehouse and she did the dance and then went mental when i tried to coax her into a cricket tub, like a crawshayi without the stridulating. I too had my last pachypus die, there was a weird chalky substance around the spinnerette/anus area that never went away. I think it was reminants of a bad moult which caused an anal blockage, impaction and then death. I examined the area afterwards and it was so thick it went right inside the membrane of the abdomen. Theres no end of stories about pachypus deaths, they have stranger requirements than blondis apparently, however, nobody has discovered a sure fire way of meeting them. I hope i have more luck with this lady, i got her from cold blooded in rainham about 6 weeks ago and shes eating, drinking, pooping fine and she isnt afraid to stand her ground! Every specimen has totally different temprament, but i have heard numerous people say their pachypus is docile but mine isnt, not in the least
sounds like experience and tons and tons of research on this specimen should be taken before purchasing one :eek:
I guess I'll have to wait and see whenever the time comes to get onee {D

VinceG

Arachnobaron
My Poecilotheria Miranda is really calm, never gave me any threat display and she is really calm!

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was wondering.. There're so many different new world species that are docile (in other words, more tolerant than others), there has to be atleast 1 old world species that's some what more tolerable than other OW species :? or maybe they're all defensive, idk {D ideass? thank you in advance!
Poecilotheria metallica, subfusca and miranda are calm ow´s.

mikebannon

Arachnopeon
i have never got a threat postur from my C. darlingi sling. It just runs down into its burrow as apposed to giving me a threat posture......

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
honestly I don't think there is such thing as a docile ow. Because of their lack of warning means of defense, such as U hairs, etc. they are more prone to bite, or spend their time hiding. I recommend you just get the old world you like as a sling and gradually learn more about it as you observe its growth.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"docile? OW" haha when i read this i thought you'd been bitten by a "docile" species {D makes more sense now

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are indeed docile OW. The problem is that some will feel safer to handle them and one day for some reason the T got scared and, for example, hangs by a fang...the outcome is more painful!!

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I put the E.pachypus in the category of "less defensive/very skittish".

They're a great pet hole though lol. :}

Last edited: