Do your Ts have names?

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm starting to think by reading this thread that I'm the only one here who doesn't name their tarantulas. I call them by their scientific names and leave it at that. I've never bought into the anthropomorphism that a lot of people get into, be it with tarantulas or any other kind of pet. I think one can appreciate the animal for what it is without assigning names and human characteristics to them.

OrdoMallus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm starting to think by reading this thread that I'm the only one here who doesn't name their tarantulas. I call them by their scientific names and leave it at that. I've never bought into the anthropomorphism that a lot of people get into, be it with tarantulas or any other kind of pet. I think one can appreciate the animal for what it is without assigning names and human characteristics to them.
I would tend to agree, I'm in the same boat I don't name any of mine. I know them mostly by younger or old of "___" or numbered. I enjoy them on a very personal level, I just don't name things. That or I associate where I got them to remember different ones (My fiance names all of our geckos, I just remember where got them and when and which tank it lives in, never names lol)

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I don't think of naming as anthropomorphising them. At least for people like me with a small collection, it makes more sense to give them names than to coldly refer to them by their species name. The reason I give mine names is because I think of it as a sign of respect, in a way. Calling my avic "A. minatrix," in my opinion, suggests that I don't appreciate it enough to personalize it with its own name. (Plus, I just like naming things, lol.) :D
I don't like to anthropomorphize my pets either; whenever someone asks me if I believe my bearded dragon, whom I love to death, recognizes me and loves me more than anyone else, I always respond "No" or "I don't know," even though it would be nice to know that he does love me in return, lol. {D
But anyway, giving names to Ts doesn't suggest that we actually call them by their names. Those of us (or most of us at least lol) who name our Ts don't actually call them by their names like "Come, Fluffy!" lol

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think of naming as anthropomorphising them. At least for people like me with a small collection, it makes more sense to give them names than to coldly refer to them by their species name. The reason I give mine names is because I think of it as a sign of respect, in a way. Calling my avic "A. minatrix," in my opinion, suggests that I don't appreciate it enough to personalize it with its own name. (Plus, I just like naming things, lol.) :D
I don't like to anthropomorphize my pets either; whenever someone asks me if I believe my bearded dragon, whom I love to death, recognizes me and loves me more than anyone else, I always respond "No" or "I don't know," even though it would be nice to know that he does love me in return, lol. {D
But anyway, giving names to Ts doesn't suggest that we actually call them by their names. Those of us (or most of us at least lol) who name our Ts don't actually call them by their names like "Come, Fluffy!" lol
I can understand your sentiment. I would argue, however, that just going by the scientific name isn't "cold" and doesn't mean I don't appreciate my spiders.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I can understand your sentiment. I would argue, however, that just going by the scientific name isn't "cold" and doesn't mean I don't appreciate my spiders.
I understand, and I agree. My phrasing just wasn't right, sorry about that.