Do Your Spiders Come to You?

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a juvie Brazilian Black and when I got home yesterday I bent down and peered into its cage. It was out, on the far side of its cork-bark hide. It then slowly started moving onto the cork bark. I thought it was going in it as a shy reaction, but instead it continued ambling towards me, came right up to me, and put its two front legs on the glass, staring like a puppy dog through a car window. The pedipalps and fangs were down, and the two legs were resting on the glass. Did the T "come to me", or what?

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey, maybe it thinks you're a sexy T and wants some T lovin' ;) .... Either that or it's extremely hungry

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dunno really... get an acanthoscurria geniculata; any movement near the tank makes it go for a look for some food

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
haha...no, it prob just was looking through the glass, my rosie does it all the time..... funny though lol........ I dont mean to laugh at you, its just funny how a T would "come" to you, or anybody for that fact, Unless you got it in the habbit of coming to a certin place in its cage for food.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My original rose hair always does that... I used to brush it off as co-incidence but I tested her out and she does indeed follow me around.

I am sure there is an explaination but I feel better telling myself that she just likes me.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
my A chalcodes female comes out onto my hand EVERY time I open her enclosure. And she doesn't want to go back. She will climb up my hand, and rest on my arm, chest, or lap for hours if I'd let her.
Maybe she likes th feel of fabric or skin, maybe it's the warmth, but like Chris, I prefer to think she just likes me ;)

Nathan Danger

Arachnopeon
i bet your spiders really do like you...i like you, and i'm not a spider, so i'm sure they do too seeing as how they are closer to you and have seen you naked probably

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
My chalcodes, pulchra, anax, vagans, and my red rosie all do that. Depending on her awakefulness, my older, female scrofa does, as well. :)
Peace,
Gillian

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I suspect that much of this behavior is primarily a conditioned response. However, I read in Rainer Foelix's Biology of Spiders that some experiments indicate that spiders are capable of more than just a blind reflex. That makes some sense. Predators usually need some intelligence to hunt successfully. Plus, Ts prey upon a variety of different animals and they must learn and remember which are good to eat, too dangerous, etc. They also have a decent-sized brain for an invertebrate. In any case, I try to be careful about triggering a feeding response because I've inadvertently conditioned them to respond to a stimulus.

Karen N.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
No, actually mine run from me. Well....the Smithi does anyway. If I so much as make a breath near her she scoots off into her pot house. (no, not that kind of pot!)

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We have a female curly hair. When I get by her cage and start talking to her she comes out of her burrow to see me. I always ask her if she wants to play. I am like Holly and Chris, sometimes it seems like they know what you are talking about. :) Pam

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
my A chalcodes female comes out onto my hand EVERY time I open her enclosure. And she doesn't want to go back. She will climb up my hand, and rest on my arm, chest, or lap for hours if I'd let her.
Maybe she likes th feel of fabric or skin, maybe it's the warmth, but like Chris, I prefer to think she just likes me ;)
A. chalcodes are so friendly, IMO. I've never seen one get snippy. I wouldn't part with mine at all.
When I get home and sit down at the desk, mine gets up on her tippy toes, and waits for her cricket. Every time.
I'm sure yours likes you, Holley. We all do. At least I know I sure do. ;)

Ernie