Do you think The Container Store knows we're their customers?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Do you think the container store knows or will ever know that a portion of their sales are not for organizing the home but actually revered by a lot of US arachnid keepers?

.....so I was about to post this as soon as I checked out and got in my truck, I go to check out and I put these acrylic shoe boxes, that @Sterls turned me on to, on the counter and the cashier lady goes “These aren’t for tarantulas are they!??”.....,

I told her “oh yes they definitely are!! They’re going to be happy in these new homes and I was literally just wondering if the TCS knew that invertebrate/arachnid keepers are loyal customers”....she then told me a story about how she knows

Hahahaha they know!!!...or at least this store does......I was smiling from ear to ear, funny how things work, made my day!!

have any of you all been asked that question at the TCS??

Last edited by a moderator:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
What was the story about how the Container Store employee knew the containers you bought were for tarantulas? I've never been asked myself, so I'm curious as to how an employee guessed.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What was the story about how the Container Store employee knew the containers you bought were for tarantulas? I've never been asked myself, so I'm curious as to how an employee guessed.
She said that they had an employee who self admitted when hired to employees and boss that he wanted to work there cause he, assuming wanted Discount, used their containers for arachnids as well as breeding crickets and roaches. She said she was shocked and had no idea up until that point. 🤣😉😂 And based off the strange variety of sizes and not enough for organization and only acrylic boxes she said figured.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I think it might have come up during checkout one time, but I usually prefer to fly under the radar so if so I probably just said "bugs". Most of the time my container store is full of suburban housewives (not the hot kind) and their whipped hubbies, so I just get my bug boxes and leave.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What would be really funny is if this lady is popping the tarantula question on random people not in the hobby. How strange would that sound!?? I can just picture someone’s face who is buying them for shoes, getting asked that question. “Excuse me...what these are for new shoes.......!??” 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sterls

Arachnobaron
What would be really funny is if this lady is popping the tarantula question on random people not in the hobby. How strange would that sound!?? I can just picture someone’s face who is buying them for shoes, getting asked that question. “Excuse me...what these are for new shoes.......!??” 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I'll fight Karen for the shoebox! They're always low in stock and my tarantulas are cooler than her gucci heels anyway.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
I gave an ear full to the clerk last time I was there what the plethora of AMAC boxes I was purchasing were being used for.

She said she thought she had heard it all.

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
I had bought several AMAC boxes a year or so ago, sporting some KC Royals gear, and the cashier asked if I was going to put baseballs in them. Nope, tarantulas I said. She was instantly visibly horrified lol

Some of them know and probably wish they didn’t

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Some of them know and probably wish they didn’t
Think we get discussed at employee orientation?

"Alright, so last thing. There's a subset of odd customers that comes in from time to time. They might look normal, don't let it fool you. They exclusively buy AMAC boxes, shoeboxes, and food storage containers - and they put spiders in them! If, during smalltalk, you discover a customer to be one of these freaks, just return their credit card and step away slowly.. They're more scared of you than you are of them."

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Think we get discussed at employee orientation?

"Alright, so last thing. There's a subset of odd customers that comes in from time to time. They might look normal, don't let it fool you. They exclusively buy AMAC boxes, shoeboxes, and food storage containers - and they put spiders in them! If, during smalltalk, you discover a customer to be one of these freaks, just return their credit card and step away slowly.. They're more scared of you than you are of them."
It’s gotta be!! A part of me wondered if she wa going to say anything after she popped the wuestion 🤣

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I’ve went to some stores and bought tubs. The person at the register asked why I had so many boxes. All I could say was the small one was for a millipede and the big one was for isopods. It really shocks people that ask why I keep pill bugs as pets. All I can say in this situation is they have cool colors and they are good pets

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer

My guess would have been that he was scratching incessantly as he waited to be checked out and there was a stray cricket on his shirt.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Everyone please stop taking the high heel shoe boxes from my local store. I've missed out on 4 restocks.

How is putting your shoes in a display case not the weirder thing to do?
"Wedding Shoes" - my gf when I asked a similar question not too long ago.

I mean I guess..

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I'm already the one dude that drives a busted ass Honda to a TSC in an upscale area. Do I want them to know I'm a weirdo too? No thanks.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I review the amac boxes and their clear shoeboxes with comments that I use them specifically for tarantulas. muahahha