Do you think music affects Ts?

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
Now hear me out here. I know that Ts hunt using the vibrations caused by the movement of their prey, that's common knowledge. I also know that music causes vibrations throughout the air, just like your voice does. Now with this in mind, a T could in theory be stimulated by the sound of music right? I know studies have been done on things like this before but I want to know from you guys is, do you think music disturbs Ts? I'm not talking about them sitting on top of a speaker or being right next to one. My room has a bass system in it which I use to listen to music on the more rare occasion. I keep the bass pretty low because I'm already not a huge fan of it but I also don't want it to disturb the animals in my room. What do you guys think?

I would also like to point out that all of my Ts came out to explore their enclosures while my music was playing. Even my annoyingly elusive Curlyhair decided to come out of hiding for a while.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Of course! Theraphosidae loves music! The hard part is to discover what they appreciate :pompous:

My Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) for instance love this:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I sometimes watch Movies with the volume way up on the sound system. I also listen to Musik with the volume up now and then. Hard rock = favorite genre of Musik! :D

I have not observed any noticeable effects on my Tarantulas or Scorpions when the Musik is playing. Interestingly, though, I have observed that vacuuming the room with the vacuum cleaner does in fact seem to annoy my arid Scorpions. Without fail they will come out and start wandering (and oddly often drink) when I am vacuuming. Not sure if it resembles a flooding monsoon in the desert or what. It seems to have no noticeable effect on my Tarantulas or my rain forest species of Scorpion.

Go figure.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think they are bothered by it, unless you put your enclosure at the top of the subwoofer.

I listen to music all the time when I'm home and haven't seen it affecting my tarantulas.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is P.murinus fav. theme 'OBT' loves to cuddle with after a couple of bites delivered to the keeper.

Quite (bitter) sausages :troll:

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I've caught one or two throw up the horns when I turn on some Slipknot. Maybe its just a threat posture.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
How often do they come out when music is on?
You've read about studies done on Ts and music? If so, link us to the primary research papers please.
This was the first I noticed it happening. I do distinctly remember such studies, I'll have to see if I can find them again. I might be wrong and they didn't do it with Tarantulas and I'm actually thinking of the peacock jumping spider or something, haha

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Now hear me out here. I know that Ts hunt using the vibrations caused by the movement of their prey, that's common knowledge. I also know that music causes vibrations throughout the air, just like your voice does. Now with this in mind, a T could in theory be stimulated by the sound of music right? I know studies have been done on things like this before but I want to know from you guys is, do you think music disturbs Ts? I'm not talking about them sitting on top of a speaker or being right next to one. My room has a bass system in it which I use to listen to music on the more rare occasion. I keep the bass pretty low because I'm already not a huge fan of it but I also don't want it to disturb the animals in my room. What do you guys think?

I would also like to point out that all of my Ts came out to explore their enclosures while my music was playing. Even my annoyingly elusive Curlyhair decided to come out of hiding for a while.
Now I know what to do when I want my Ts to come out for their dinner . What do you think would be their favourite tune ?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This was the first I noticed it happening. I do distinctly remember such studies, I'll have to see if I can find them again. I might be wrong and they didn't do it with Tarantulas and I'm actually thinking of the peacock jumping spider or something, haha
I'd be shocked if the studies were done w/Ts, but if you find them, link us up!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I do distinctly remember such studies, I'll have to see if I can find them again. I might be wrong and they didn't do it with Tarantulas and I'm actually thinking of the peacock jumping spider or something, haha
I vaguely remember reading (possibly in a newspaper so it could be complete and utter tosh) about there being a study done on whether or not spiders would build webs next to a speaker playing different types of music and that they'd build webs closest to the speaker when classical music or Hip-Hop was played.

This was donkey's years ago though.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
Now I know what to do when I want my Ts to come out for their dinner . What do you think would be their favourite tune ?
Mine liked pop for the most part, but whenever some heavier rock song came on that's when I noticed my terrestrial Ts were really on the move. I might actually have to try that, put on some music to get them to come out for feeding. What a hobby we're in! There's no limit to the amount of surprises!

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
My tarantulas always persuade me into listening to Peanut Butter Jelly Time.
And by persuade, I mean threaten.
It's getting scary.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Well I was thinking about something similar. Does our music produce sounds in frequencies we can't hear that could disturb animals?