Do you think music affects Ts?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well! THIS is embarrassing! I got my names confused. The fact that i used N.C and a fiddle was no coincidence. I sae you mention the fiddle and noticed you were from N.C.

Then I used the wrong name in my "parody". :eek:

I hate it when I blow a gag!

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I can only speak on what I've observed. When I play music loudly, some of my tarantulas, especially my P. irminia, appear to be agitated, and frantically move about their enclosure, which is not their usual behavior. I've since moved them out of the room that I'm usually playing music in because I do believe that it bothers them.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
That's sad because I'm planning on getting an apartment and making myself a man cave/hobby room for my Ts and my music practice room. So I hope that's not the case but then again I only play acoustic instruments And I could always just play in the living room and keep the instruments on display in the man cave, haha.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I can only speak on what I've observed. When I play music loudly, some of my tarantulas, especially my P. irminia, appear to be agitated, and frantically move about their enclosure, which is not their usual behavior. I've since moved them out of the room that I'm usually playing music in because I do believe that it bothers them.[/QUOTE I'm sure that very loud music can't be good for then , none stop vibrations would drive them mad , they would think their was prey or something lurking in their set up all the time !

Jeff23

Arachnolord
That's sad because I'm planning on getting an apartment and making myself a man cave/hobby room for my Ts and my music practice room. So I hope that's not the case but then again I only play acoustic instruments And I could always just play in the living room and keep the instruments on display in the man cave, haha.
If you don't have a huge number of T's you can probably buy some neoprene rubber matting or something similar at fairly low costs and it might be all that is needed. I am not sure if it would be better to dampen your entire shelf unit or place it under the individual tarantula enclosures. Metal, wood, and plastic shelf units probably transmit most everything from the wall and floors. If you have multiple tarantulas it would cost a lot less if you could just dampen the full shelf unit where it links to the floor and/or wall.

I believe that sorbothane is actually rated very high in dampening vibrations. It costs a lot more than neoprene rubber however so care in the design process would be needed. Here are examples.

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbothane-Vibration-Isolation-Washer/dp/B0042UBWCE

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbothane-Vibration-Isolation-Washer/dp/B0042U8PE2

EDIT* I would like to do this, but more so for dampening vibration from opening and closing of doors along with walking near the enclosures.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
I absolutely love how this started out with me asking a question that was probably a little stupid to most people, and now it's turned into a full blown thing where people are wanting to buy dampening materials and switch rooms around so the music doesn't bother their Ts.

EDIT* I would like to do this, but more so for dampening vibration from opening and closing of doors along with walking near the enclosures.
That's an issue I seem to be having now. The music never was really an ISSUE, more just a food for thought topic. The doors however are irritating. I keep mine in a shelf in my closet with a sliding door. Most of them don't care when I open the door but my burrowers run straight to the burrow whenever I slide the door open. Add that on top of the fact that I have to open the lid? It makes feeding impossible!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
That's actually pretty brilliant, Jeff. Another idea to throw into the mix!
The tougher part of the process is trying to find a good solution without spending lots of money on objects that aren't tarantulas. It seems like a little R&D might be needed with whichever tarantula's are the most sensitive and skittish to the vibrations. The sorbothane may be overkill. I've wanted to play with this idea for a while.

I absolutely love how this started out with me asking a question that was probably a little stupid to most people, and now it's turned into a full blown thing where people are wanting to buy dampening materials and switch rooms around so the music doesn't bother their Ts.

That's an issue I seem to be having now. The music never was really an ISSUE, more just a food for thought topic. The doors however are irritating. I keep mine in a shelf in my closet with a sliding door. Most of them don't care when I open the door but my burrowers run straight to the burrow whenever I slide the door open. Add that on top of the fact that I have to open the lid? It makes feeding impossible!
It is not a dumb question. It is actually one aspect of home life and one that many people fail to think about. For me sound is less of an issue because I normally use Bluetooth or headphones for TV and music. But I am still fighting to remember to not make too big of an entrance when I want to go visit my T's.

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I wouldn't think an acoustic guitar would be a problem unless you were playing directly in front of and facing them or mic‘d it up.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
After I inserted the links yesterday, I have taken another look today during break at work. This one isn't too bad on the cost and has much better ratings that the washers that I linked.

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorb...s=sorbothane+vibration+isolation+washer&psc=1

I don't think I would attach these directly to the tarantula enclosure. Based on some of the buyer comments it may be better to attach them to a piece of flat plastic to create a buffer. Then place your tarantula enclosure on top of the buffer setup. As an example, one of the comments reads "These are VERY soft, I would think they would allow too much movement for the board." This means when you are doing maintenance the entire enclosure may shiver back and forth if they are attached directly. Thus you might want to remove the enclosure from the buffer unit for maintenance. I may test some of these out for my M robustum. I have three of them and have never seen any of them on top of the substrate surface though evidence is clear they hang out there quite often.