Do you think music affects Ts?

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
Well I was thinking about something similar. Does our music produce sounds in frequencies we can't hear that could disturb animals?
The immediate answer I want to give is of course. But then here I sit with no information to back it up, haha! I just know that we don't hear the entire range of pitch that is created by the music we listen to. I think that's the reason why different age groups like different music, aside from plain personal preference, because it sounds different depending on your age.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Personally, I'm new to owning Ts, I've done several years of research but never owned one. Illl own my first Ts by Wednesday and I'm completely stoked...but this particular question really excites me as I am a musician and I play fiddle guitar and can't wait to see how the tarantulas react to pure acoustic music...

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
Personally, I'm new to owning Ts, I've done several years of research but never owned one. Illl own my first Ts by Wednesday and I'm completely stoked...but this particular question really excites me as I am a musician and I play fiddle guitar and can't wait to see how the tarantulas react to pure acoustic music...
You should totally try to play them some music and let us know. Maybe if you play them some good vibrato that'll get their attention. Also what kind of Ts do you have coming in Wednesday and where'd you order them? If you don't mind my asking.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Not to derail the thread but a GBB and a rosehair. The third you can find out about in a thread in the tatantula chat section.

I'll definitely try playing them something after they become comfortable in their new houses and see I'll if they're interested, I'd hate it if it disturbed them though.

I predict that that they will be interested and more so in the fiddle playing than guitar but that's just a wild guess.

EDIT; ordered them from fear not tarantulas inc, seems like a great dealer, read my thread mentioned above for more info.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I mean in the wild, wind, rain, etc. can sometimes get pretty loud... Not sure if it counts as music (lol) but I practice piano about 20 feet away from my t collection (no wall in between) for 3ish years with no adverse effects that I've been able to note.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
I mean in the wild, wind, rain, etc. can sometimes get pretty loud... Not sure if it counts as music (lol) but I practice piano about 20 feet away from my t collection (no wall in between) for 3ish years with no adverse effects that I've been able to note.
I'm not really just referring to the volume of things. I'm more interested in what they think of the presence of vibrations in the air that are definitely not food and definitely not the weather.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
Do they become interested in the sound or perform their regular routines?
When I noticed mine being more active while my music was playing, they were all sort of just doing regular tarantula things but a bit more than they normally do, if that makes sense. The Ts that I normally don't see were out and about walking around. The ones that are usually out, were still out as always. It may have just been a complete coincidence seeing as I was moving a lot of stuff around, the location of their enclosures included, the post was mainly just a food for thought though.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
I think,based on the knowledge read from the net ever since, that the tarantulas might be mistaking the vibrations of the air as a potential prey,thats why they come out of the hiding,the vibrations on the air are being focused on the vent holes,which in turn makes the vibrations more concentrated and more precise inside of the enclosure(think of the simple bullhorn,but reversed),maybe even be amplified at bit(?) due to the nearly closed environment inside the enclosure,much like an empty hollow drum, so they might think that the holes itself,or something past the holes are potential prey,but they are blocked by the enclosure so they roam around,looking for a way out(?)

Again,this are all "might be" statements,which are all based from the net and/or from observation on my own pets.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
I think,based on the knowledge read from the net ever since, that the tarantulas might be mistaking the vibrations of the air as a potential prey,thats why they come out of the hiding,the vibrations on the air are being focused on the vent holes,which in turn makes the vibrations more concentrated and more precise inside of the enclosure(think of the simple bullhorn,but reversed),maybe even be amplified at bit(?) due to the nearly closed environment inside the enclosure,much like an empty hollow drum, so they might think that the holes itself,or something past the holes are potential prey,but they are blocked by the enclosure so they roam around,looking for a way out(?)

Again,this are all "might be" statements,which are all based from the net and/or from observation on my own pets.
Yeah that's what I was thinking must have been happening, I mean its all that would make sense really. It's just kinda funny that my B. albopilosum was fasting yet here it comes on the hunt when the music is playing. Can't even open the enclosure to try feeding without it running to the bottom of its burrow!

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
None of my seven react when I play my button accordion, bouzouki, tenor banjo or guitar. But let a hisser antennae twitch lol

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I don't know about music, but I keep a few Buddha statues in some of my reputably higher strung SE Asian and Indian tarantulas enclosures for some zen. In every instance, in the enclosures with the little Buddhas, peaceful coexistence occurs.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Yeah that's what I was thinking must have been happening, I mean its all that would make sense really. It's just kinda funny that my B. albopilosum was fasting yet here it comes on the hunt when the music is playing. Can't even open the enclosure to try feeding without it running to the bottom of its burrow!
Or it wasn't on the hunt and was trying to escape the vibration. This isn't the first time this has been discussed. It's no different than exposing a human to extra sensory input above normal values creating stress and the reactions to avoid or reduce it. Tarantulas are not humans, they don't have highly developed nervous systems, they're not interpreting it as anything beyond potential threat or prey. They don't have to be running laps around the enclosure and flinging themselves off the roofs to be stressed.

Practicing music next to them is no big deal unless it is loud enough at midrange and higher frequencies to actually produce a physical sensation in the enclosures (likely would take a fair amount of volume based on personal experience) or the instrument is for bass which carries further easier and has more energy.

I personally wouldn't want to be exposed to bright light or noise just to see what my human reaction to extra sensory input is (Guantanamo Bay and elsewhere have already tried this fairly recently). Don't unnecessarily stress your spiders. Alchemy can't turn straw in to gold and loud music isn't going to stimulate your spiders in to doing anything positive.

Just my two cents.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
The immediate answer I want to give is of course. But then here I sit with no information to back it up, haha! I just know that we don't hear the entire range of pitch that is created by the music we listen to. I think that's the reason why different age groups like different music, aside from plain personal preference, because it sounds different depending on your age.
Beyond that you're assuming the speakers are even capable of producing those frequencies. Most peoples' home stereos are, well, mediocre and struggle to produce the full human hearing range much less at output levels that could be sensed by the spiders outside of that frequency range :)

I think that's the reason why different age groups like different music, aside from plain personal preference, because it sounds different depending on your age.
I'm not even sure what you mean by that...do 50 year olds only listen to one kind of music? It's just plain personal preference :) I'm 38, I listen to almost everything from classical music to death metal to all kinds of electronic to blues to rock to whatever besides polka, opera, and country. In high school all I listened to was rap, techno, and heavy metal with a little country towards the end (gf, blech). As I got older I learned to appreciate other music via exposure and tiring of hearing the same style over and over. I hated most of the popular music in high school but 10-20 years later I find it more enjoyable. I also know older people who do only listen to one or two genres. Personal preferences :)

Every music genre utilizes most of the hearing spectrum, not so much the high and low extremes, just in different ways. What you enjoy listening to has to do with your personal stress levels and how you deal with it, what sounds you find enjoyable, and what your mood is. I've seen older people enjoying heavy metal that they'd normally dislike because it was part of a movie scene. I've seen younger people enjoying "lame" music in the same fashion. I know plenty of people my age and older who listen to all kinds of music genres. Very little music, not even electronic based, has much sound in the extreme ends of the hearing response range where most hearing loss occurs.

Tangent...
Oddly enough, hearing damage can make someone MORE sensitive to high frequencies so that lower levels of those frequencies are more irritating/painful. I have plenty of hearing damage from my car audio competition days, driving around with 150dB+ of music daily for hours for a couple of years, no bueno, my ears rarely ring after concerts these days. Hearing loss also isn't just about reducing hearing response range, it creates a problem where sounds blend together making them indistinguisable such as conversations in a restaurant with a lot of background noise. I can hear those frequencies but I can't separate the bg noise from people talking sometimes. It's very frustrating and makes you feel stupid having to ask someone to repeat themselves five times. It seems to have no effect on how I perceive music though. Further, my hearing in an ear will sometimes suddenly drop out and sound very muffled with a high pitched whine/whistle over it then slow fade back in to normal. I can roll over at night and one ear is certainly much more damaged than the other.

Protect your ears :)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I had created another thread not long ago about the sensory system of the tarantula where I was mentioning that use of a dampening system (perhaps some type rubber material) might allow a person to sneak up and view a more skittish or shy tarantula when it comes out at night. Likewise I would figure the same type of material could be setup to minimize your music bothering the tarantulas.

It might take some experimentation to figure out the best material and how you might want to do it. You have to decide if you are going to insulate the entire shelf unit, the individual shelves, or individual tarantula enclosures based on what you might have available for use.

EDIT* I wonder if a rubber mat like you use on the floor or perhaps kitchen sink area might have an impact.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
The Rose-hair went down to N.C., she was looking for a cricket meal,
She was in a bind, 'cause she had a shriveled behind,
And she was willing to make a deal

Then she came upon a young T-keeper,
sawing on a fiddle and playin' it hot,
And the Rosie jumped up on a coconut hut and said,
"Boy, lemme tell ya what!"

"I guess you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too,
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you!
Now you play a pretty good fiddle, son, but give a spider its due, I'll bet a bolus of gold against feeder crickets threefold,
'cause I think I'm better than you!"

The boy said "my name's DPetsche, and I'm just a southern bumpkin,
But I'll take that bet, you're gonna regret, 'cause I'm the best that's ever been!"

DPetsche resin up your bow and play your fiddle hard, cause an arachnid's come to N.C. and you better be on your guard!
'cause if you win you'll get this shiny bolus made of gold,
But if you lose that Rosie gets your feeder crickets threefold!"

The spider opened up her case, and said "I'll start this show!" and venom dripped from her fang-tips, as she resined up her bow,
and she dragged her 'palps across webbing strings and they made an evil hiss, then a band of OBTs joined in and it sounded something like this...

Eh, that's all I got. Bad idea to start with...

Leila

Arachnobaron
The Rose-hair went down to N.C., she was looking for a cricket meal,
She was in a bind, 'cause she had a shriveled behind,
And she was willing to make a deal

Then she came upon a young T-keeper,
sawing on a fiddle and playin' it hot,
And the Rosie jumped up on a coconut hut and said,
"Boy, lemme tell ya what!"

"I guess you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too,
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you!
Now you play a pretty good fiddle, son, but give a spider its due, I'll bet a bolus of gold against feeder crickets threefold,
'cause I think I'm better than you!"

The boy said "my name's DPetsche, and I'm just a southern bumpkin,
But I'll take that bet, you're gonna regret, 'cause I'm the best that's ever been!"

DPetsche resin up your bow and play your fiddle hard, cause an arachnid's come to N.C. and you better be on your guard!
'cause if you win you'll get this shiny bolus made of gold,
But if you lose that Rosie gets your feeder crickets threefold!"

The spider opened up her case, and said "I'll start this show!" and venom dripped from her fang-tips, as she resined up her bow,
and she dragged her 'palps across webbing strings and they made an evil hiss, then a band of OBTs joined in and it sounded something like this...

Eh, that's all I got. Bad idea to start with...
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yessss! Pure freakin Gold there, Tim! :happy: