Do you think molts are gross?

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I am talking about the leftover molts the spiders discard. I know some people use them in art projects or collect them so I never really thought anything of it until my BF freaked out.

It was late last night when I pulled the molt from my S.Cal (unsexed) I wanted to ID it today and I was mentioning it to my BF. I sent him a photo of it since it is VERY intact.

1597184433304.png I want to try to ID the gender and was measuring it to guess how big the spider must be now. I was not thinking about it too much, admiring the pattern etc (since I rarely get to see this one and never in good light) and he is acting like I am crazy XD

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I think they are remarkable,But,then again I pickup my labs poop at the park....now that's natural,but gross.At least I don't have to put my molts in a plastic bag:lol:

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Get a new boyfriend. Such a squeamish lad doesn't deserve a girlfriend that keeps tarantulas (and S. cals, no less).

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Get a new boyfriend. Such a squeamish lad doesn't deserve a girlfriend that keeps tarantulas (and S. cals, no less).
I am a guy too actually, and he is being very open to it (even tho he finds them a bit creepy). He probably sees the shed is like a toenail or something. He also seems to actually like my g.pulchra quite a bit, it is his favourite one.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I am a guy too actually, and he is being very open to it (even tho he finds them a bit creepy). He probably sees the shed is like a toenail or something. He also seems to actually like my g.pulchra quite a bit, it is his favourite one.
Well, if he likes G. pulchra, then he can't be so bad after all. This is good to know, and actually I'm relieved that you seem to be doing fine, because I feel a certain responsibility for taking care of people around here, which can be a lot of work.

What I was going to suggest was that you get special permission to post yourself in the Invertsonals section here. Now, I know you're not spineless, but what better way to find lots of guys that are really into spiders?
I would've helped you write your profile. Now, how long since you last molted... er... got a haircut. Do you pay for your own shipping/travel expenses, and so forth, et cetera. If it doesn't work out with this guy, you've got good options on here. Message me, and I bet I could find a great match for you 👍

Last edited:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Sounds like there's some hope for him. Maybe keep him around for a while and see if he warms up to the "gross" parts of the hobby ;)

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Sounds like there's some hope for him. Maybe keep him around for a while and see if he warms up to the "gross" parts of the hobby ;)
He also admitted some of the colorful ones are pretty. I have a dog and cat too...I find them grosser.

I want to keep some of the molts to show my dad too. One time I kept the vitatta one to show him and as I was getting out of the car with my dog, I handed it to him because I did not want to drop it (it was on a thin piece of clear plastic and my dog was tugging me a bit) and my dad jumped a bit. I forgot to mention what I was handing him.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Baby steps with the uninitiated. It's a very small step from Grammostola pulchra to Grammostola grossa :wacky:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Molts are not gross to me.
But some people don't think dr. Pimple popper is gross and I can't look at that stuff.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Baby steps with the uninitiated. It's a very small step from Grammostola pulchra to Grammostola grossa :wacky:
I have a small g.pulchripes that is starting to get more adventurous/visible. I think I will try introducing him to that one.

Molts are not gross to me.
But some people don't think dr. Pimple popper is gross and I can't look at that stuff.
Ewww.....I looked it up and I don't enjoy it much either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
No, I have never thought of them as 'gross' - they're incredible. They are the result of a natural process that billions of animals go through all the time. However, for people who don't understand, or have never had experience with the process, I think that many of them respond with 'gross' at the thought of it being a discarded skeleton that an animal used to be inside of. Or maybe it's because they can't get their head around the fact that an animal bursts out of their bodies like that?
Maybe show him some timelapse moulting videos to get a better idea... although lots of people think they're 'gross' too.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
No, I have never thought of them as 'gross' - they're incredible. They are the result of a natural process that billions of animals go through all the time. However, for people who don't understand, or have never had experience with the process, I think that many of them respond with 'gross' at the thought of it being a discarded skeleton that an animal used to be inside of. Or maybe it's because they can't get their head around the fact that an animal bursts out of their bodies like that?
Maybe show him some timelapse moulting videos to get a better idea... although lots of people think they're 'gross' too.
I seen people comment on them as "alien"

Also, showed my BF one of my baby LP's that is in heavy premolt. I called it "Fat Arse Jr." (The G.Pulchra is over an inch but still has that baby terrestrial look) He said "aw". It was cute xD I am not sure if he will get used to the idea of molts but for now maybe I will just focus on showing him the filled out ones xD

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I love the molts, easy to take macro shots like this. From a 1 inch P. Regalis

4BA6168C-92D3-4FE7-9A1A-F089CB48F977.jpeg 0704D126-FA29-4E26-ABBA-934008779FD1.jpeg