Do you see what I see?

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I must say I impressed myself with this one...lol. Although most of you "vetern" T owners may have already thought of this. Pics speak for themselves.

Last edited:

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Did a bird actually make that, or is that from a craft store? Thats really neat and it blends well with coco fiber.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are you sure there aren't any pesticides or chemicals in/on that?

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Are you sure there aren't any pesticides or chemicals in/on that?
Does baking render chemicals inert? It obviously can kill bacteria, but do you think heat could also alter toxic chemicals to be safe?
Just a thought that came to me :? but lemme know what you think.

edit: and to newspidermom- not trying to hijack your thread, I won't get into a lengthy discussion on this subject, I'm just wondering.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's a hanging plant holder that came with that coconut liner. Got it for $1 at the dollar store. I'm pretty sure it's real coconut fiber, but it's also pressed together and feels kind of rubbery. As far as pesticides and chemicals I don't think there are any cause it's completely oder free.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just because there isn't an odor doesn't mean there aren't pesticides or chemicals...

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does baking render chemicals inert? It obviously can kill bacteria, but do you think heat could also alter toxic chemicals to be safe?
Just a thought that came to me :? but lemme know what you think.

edit: and to newspidermom- not trying to hijack your thread, I won't get into a lengthy discussion on this subject, I'm just wondering.
Depends upon the chemical. For example, potatoes when raw are fine, but when deep fried into french fries, the chemicals commonly used on potatoes (pesticides/herbicides) binds with another naturally in the potato and becomes highly carcinogenic. This wouldn't matter to tarantulas, just humans. Just an example. On other chemicals, I'm unsure.

Cool idea for a hidey hole, spidermom!

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok...just turned on my oven to 400F. I have another one that I'll bake and see. Can't hurt. Don't worry about hijacking the idea. I want opinions good or bad. One thing I will say though. Some of the items I see in the pet stores have an odor. Not sure if it's the paint they use or the mold material. A friend of mine got me a little bridge that smelled awful. I'm afraid to use it. It was sold in the aquarium dept.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I also don't know that it's safe to bake that at 400 degrees...you might catch it on fire.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Depends upon the chemical. For example, potatoes when raw are fine, but when deep fried into french fries, the chemicals commonly used on potatoes (pesticides/herbicides) binds with another naturally in the potato and becomes highly carcinogenic. This wouldn't matter to tarantulas, just humans. Just an example. On other chemicals, I'm unsure.

Cool idea for a hidey hole, spidermom!
Weird, so heat can actually produce harmful chemicals? Who would've thunk it :?
So if McDonalds ever uses potatos that have trace pesticides on em, it could harm you? I wonder if fast food places have to purchace all natural potatos, or if they just scrub em really good lol

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Ok...just turned on my oven to 400F. I have another one that I'll bake and see. Can't hurt. Don't worry about hijacking the idea. I want opinions good or bad. One thing I will say though. Some of the items I see in the pet stores have an odor. Not sure if it's the paint they use or the mold material. A friend of mine got me a little bridge that smelled awful. I'm afraid to use it. It was sold in the aquarium dept.
And yeah, even if your nose can't pick up on some chemicals, if definetly can smell others. I think thats the main reason that mammals even have the ability to smell- to avoid toxins & on a lesser degree to pick up on pheremones. If it smells funny to you, for sure don't use it with your T's.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok...just called a local gardening center. They said it's all natural coconut fiber coated with natural latex to hold the shape. Oh...and sorry...the 400F was a typo. My oven is set at 300F.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Weird, so heat can actually produce harmful chemicals? Who would've thunk it :?
So if McDonalds ever uses potatos that have trace pesticides on em, it could harm you? I wonder if fast food places have to purchace all natural potatos, or if they just scrub em really good lol

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Heat and light is believed may cause polyacrylamide (a thickening agent used in herbicides such as glyphosate) to decompose into acrylamide. Acrylamide is a suspected carcinogen.

Washing couldn't hurt, as long as you weren't scrubbing more acrylamide from tap water into the potato. {D I'm pretty sure, though, that the herbicides are as much on the inside as on the outside. The french fries at McSatan's have the skins off and are frozen, and herbicides were likely used. Unless grown organically, you'll likely end up with it in your system. There are other sources too, like chips, starchy foods, etc.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

To Spidermom: all natural sounds good