do you quarantine new Ts

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just wondering how many people quarantine new tarantulas and for how long?

myself any new tarantula i get goes into a seperate room away from my other Ts for up to 2 weeks its just something ive always done

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
To keep any sort of infestations/diseases/otherwise from new specimens out of your collection.

-Sean

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so am i to understand mites and the like can take upwards of 3 months to be visable? ive always done two weeks because the 2 Ts i had that came with mites 10+ years ago did not show up for a few days perhaps i should up the quarantine time

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have not yet ether, but they make great points on why to do it, maybe I will start.

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How can anything like mites get to your other T.s in their separate enclosures?

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've never quarantined and never had a problem. I've only purchased from reputable sellers, so that has probably made the difference.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How can anything like mites get to your other T.s in their separate enclosures?
They are pretty crafty, they can climb out air holes or slits in the lids, and off the go looking for more food and a better place to set up shop. I never really gave it a second thought. But I see the reasons why people do it thats for sure.

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My second T is coming in tomorow and my mom wouldn't be impressed with me spreading this hobby outside my bedroom, would it be okay to have it on a shelf on the opposite corner of the room? It's just a sling...

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Never have yet. But then again all my T's come from reputable breeders.

As I purchase my T's as slings in vials, they stay in vials until large enough for a mini KK. I guess this could be considered quarantined to some degree.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've never quarantined, but I admit that it's a good idea.

would it be okay to have it on a shelf on the opposite corner of the room? It's just a sling...
If it's just a sling, you should be ok. As for the opposite corner, that sounds perfect as long as you use separate tweezers/water droppers/paraphernalia with the new one than you do with your other little guy.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have never quarantined either, but I see the good reasons of why it's done. The only Ts I'll ever quarantine are WC Ts for obvious reasons. Ts I purchase as CB and from reputable breeders and/or dealers don't need to be quarantined.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i too have purchased T's from reputable dealers (travis and kelly) and never had a problem. then the other ones that i've purchased from local dealers have been fine.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For me,too it depends on where they came from--if it's from a pet shop or someone gives me one, then I quarantine for 2-4 weeks. I stay away from WC for a variety of reasons. Slings from breeder/dealers I trust don't get quarantined.