Do you post videos of your T on FB? If so, what's the reaction of your friends?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I made the mistake once. I thought i was posting a pic in a FBgroup, but i was posting it on my timeline.
The shock! The horror! :eek: :D
I even got a reaction saying i should not post it because her kids would see it and she was afraid it would either scare them or get them to want one as well.
The pic in question was of my adorable third instar GBB...

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
My girlfriends mom always says she will never come over our apartment every time I post a pic or video of my Ts. I guess that's a good thing, right? lol

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I do post a pic when I get a new spider. Most people freak out, but I some agree that they're beautiful (especially my Pokies).

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have and mostly the reaction was good with people asking a lot of questions. One lady, who dramas out on most everything she reads, made a big deal out of it. It's common with places like FB for people to indulge their OMG reaction since that is what they think the world wants to hear. After a few posts where she didn't get the agreeable response she was hoping for she stopped posting on the image and hasn't posted on any other T photos since.

Most people I show my Ts or photos of my Ts to respond with interest.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Who cares what they think, their thoughts aren't important to my enjoyment.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
"Gross" "eww" "nope!" "This is why you're single" "oh he'll no" and my personal favorite recently "nopest of the nopes"

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When will saying "nope" whenever people see a picture of a spider go away? Hasn't it outlasted its stay already?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I post a ton of photos to Facebook and the reactions I get are 99.99% positive. I introduce them by name, give them an identity, I give little tidbits of information about tarantulas in general, or interesting little quirks about the specific species, and my friends eat it up. Of course, many of my friends are vegan/animal rights people, so they have more of a propensity to respect and admire all living beings - despite the fact that they might have fear of them.
I can't count how many people, who started out with the most severe arachnophobia, have been converted by my photos and stories. People loved my Evelyn and many of them were devastated when she died. I have a lot of people posting their own photos to my timeline of the little house spiders that they have living in their homes that they would have killed if it weren't for my photos and stories. I get tagged in all manner of positive spidey material.
It's all about education and portraying them in a positive manner. And yes, giving them an identity, and not just calling them specimen 1 and 2 etc., goes a long way in converting people. People are much less inclined to want to kill a being with an identity.

Most common response...
"Marlena S Because of you I no longer Fear spiders!"

Last edited:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I only have one social media account (not counting forums) and that's my Instagram account. I post pretty much only spiders and things though. Only got negative comments once or twice.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Very positive response, especially from my nieces and nephews. I'm fairly certain that my friends/family who repeatedly comment about being disgusted or fearful are also somewhat fascinated lol

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
I made the mistake once. I thought i was posting a pic in a FBgroup, but i was posting it on my timeline.
The shock! The horror! :eek: :D
I even got a reaction saying i should not post it because her kids would see it and she was afraid it would either scare them or get them to want one as well.
The pic in question was of my adorable third instar GBB...
Isnt it funny how some people assume they can tell you what and what not to post because they do or dont like it. I mean really... its not like its YOUR facebook page or anything...

jhilde

Arachnopeon
My exotic pets used to be the freak show my friends talked about but not anymore. Now its the girl posting nude photos with large constrictor snakes lol.