Do you name your T's?

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I want to name mine but it's trickier when you're not sure of the sex. I have a good sense (thanks to a ventral shot posted on here) that my pentaloris is male, and I suspect (but don't really know for sure) that my sabulosus is female. I was thinking that rather than wait however many weeks/months until I know for sure, that I'd just go with names based on these assumptions.

I'm thinking of Rama for the pentaloris. I was going to call the Sabulosus Sue - she's smaller (2 inches) and cute, and I thought the name kind of captured that, and yet was also cute in the way it didn't really fit a tarantula. Pushback from my wife and daughter has caused me to rethink this name, however, and I am going to try and think of something else.

My initial thought, as a Tolkien nerd, was one of his spiders, but how many pet Shelobs must there be out there? And Ungoliant feels a bit, I dunno, unwieldy for me for a pet, plus again there must be tons in the hobby. I know one of the mods on this board has that as their username, too!

I guess when you only have 2 you're more likely to overthink it. Perhaps the solution then is... more tarantulas?

Lazaru

Arachnopeon
Got a 1.1 P.metalica called Jack and Sally
A female OBT called Taz
1.1 B.hamoori called el chapo and cheech
A female P.muticus called Cersei

I name them when I find a name that suits them

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I want to name mine but it's trickier when you're not sure of the sex. I have a good sense (thanks to a ventral shot posted on here) that my pentaloris is male, and I suspect (but don't really know for sure) that my sabulosus is female. I was thinking that rather than wait however many weeks/months until I know for sure, that I'd just go with names based on these assumptions.

I'm thinking of Rama for the pentaloris. I was going to call the Sabulosus Sue - she's smaller (2 inches) and cute, and I thought the name kind of captured that, and yet was also cute in the way it didn't really fit a tarantula. Pushback from my wife and daughter has caused me to rethink this name, however, and I am going to try and think of something else.

My initial thought, as a Tolkien nerd, was one of his spiders, but how many pet Shelobs must there be out there? And Ungoliant feels a bit, I dunno, unwieldy for me for a pet, plus again there must be tons in the hobby. I know one of the mods on this board has that as their username, too!

I guess when you only have 2 you're more likely to overthink it. Perhaps the solution then is... more tarantulas?
More fur babies = more fun 😂 i just come up with names that are unisex/ are the sort of thing a 6 year old would name their cat

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A female P.muticus called Cersei
After having watched Game of Thrones, that name is so, SO fitting for a female King Baboon. Watch your back, she might be plotting something against you :p

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Gottah say I am proud of all of you so far for not going for the cliche "Shelob, Ungoliant, Aragog"

I myself just give them numbers until they have actually done something significant earning themselves a name. As such only my sub adult and adult T's have names and none of them are very interesting. (Pigglet, Mole, Creeper, ect)

jay444

Arachnosquire
My girlfriend named all of my Ts. Its part of the deal of me keeping tarantulas :lol:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Just wondering how many of you guys name the T's in your collection? I only have three, so it's pretty simple to remember! (Jingles, coco and sparkle) but i bet it's difficult if you have lots and lots of them. Would love to see some pictures and names of the ones you have if you do name them ☺ here is my juvie B. Hamorii, sparkle to start
Some

Estawoo

Arachnopeon
I've named all 17 of mine, & the ones who've passed away..I try to give them names for they area they come from but doesn't always work out that way!

LaughingLunatic

Arachnopeon
I have 4 new babies I got a couple of weeks ago - my return to tarantula keeping after many many years !

1/2" GBB - "Petunia" (a friend at work wanted to name her)
1/2" T. albopilosus (Nicaraguan) - "Agnes" after the little girl in Despicable Me who says "It's so fluffy, I'm gonna die..."
3/4" G. pulchra - "Nyx" - after the Greek goddess of the night
1/2" Unknown - "Princess Persephone" - cos, why not ? Even the seller has no idea what genus/species she is. I got her as a "mystery" freebie.

Not sure why I default to her/she for unknown sex, wishful thinking maybe ?

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I have a bunch that are unnamed, but a few:

A. minatrix - Neo
A. kwitara - Kiwi
A. avic m6 - Quick Silver
A. versicolor - Versace
P. murinus - Wiener

babiephish

Arachnopeon
A. Avic - Robin Jr
B. Boehmei - Ranch