Do you keep a very tight rein on enclosure temperatures?

TechComMike

Arachnopeon
I have a H. hainanum that seems to wander her enclosure at night (glass 5 gallon) more than I'd expect of a burrower, though usually staying in burrow (built by me rather than any expansion by her) during the day. She's eaten several roaches in recent days so she's not hunting food that I can tell so was wondering if the fact we only keep our house temps at about 65/66 is making her search for a warmer corner in the tank somewhere. I'm guessing 66 in the home translates to 70's inside the tank but don't have a thermometer to verify. Should I be underheating / backheating the tank with a heat pad (she's got about 8 inches of garden soil mixed with vermiculite)? Anyone here who keeps their tank temps much warmer or within a really tight range daytime versus nighttime?

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Im thinking your a little on the cool side.Its noon here in Denver,outside temp is
42,this is a shot of my gauge.She could be looking for warmth,but not familiar with that T.
I use a oil filled heater.Drops a few degrees during the evening.But actually stays fairly
constant year round.

Attachments

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't really monitor the temps for my Ts very closely. I have a digital thermometer sitting on the shelf where my enclosures are, and I turn it on and leave it for a couple of days every 2 weeks or so, just to keep an eye on things. Generally they're 68-69 at night and 71-73 during the day. I only have slings, certainly nothing big enough for a 5 gallon enclosure, but they've mostly either found comfortable places to spend most of their time or made fun burrows they rarely leave. I see my G. pulchripes wandering around sometimes, my N. chromatus spends a lot of time on top of the cork bark hide (until I move the enclosure), and my B. boehmei only ever hides when I move his enclosure, but that's about it aside from feeding time.

Those temps are a bit lower than I keep my house, but only a few degrees. Not sure if that would cause issues or not. More experienced keepers might have a bit more to add. I'm still a n00b.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I go with the base assumption that if I'm comfortable then the tarantula is comfortable. Though I will admit that 65/66 degrees is on the low end.

The only ones that temperature regulate are the slings. They are in a temperature controlled cabinet set at 79 degrees F.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I think consistent low temps like that are likely detrimental. That's not natural in the slightest for the majority of species.

I wouldn't maintain my animals below low 70s.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
My 2nd bedroom is where I keep my T's and frogs. It's always warmer than the rest of my apartment in the summer and cooler than the rest of my apartment in the winter. Daytime highs in the winter are 72-74 degrees with a nighttime drop no lower than 68. Highs in the summer are 75-78 and lows about 72. I have had no problems with anyone using those temps.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I do my best to keep it between 70 and 75.

Last edited:

Eukio

Arachnosquire
I use a heater to keep the room warm. The ts and I exist in the same space, so I think it as: if I am cold, they are cold.

Last edited:

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I am comfortable, my T's are comfortable. Naturally, during the summer it gets warmer. Mt T's are doing very well.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
If I am comfortable, my T's are comfortable. Naturally, during the summer it gets warmer. Mt T's are doing very well.
I can't say I prescribe to this theory. Comfortability is very subjective. My gf is cold and thinks it's going to snow if the temp is below 70 (true story). I'm more comfortable when it's cool.
But I know my T's are generally comfortable between 70 and 80 degrees. So as long as their room is in that range i'm good. I do believe in seasonal cycles of varying temps/moisture.

TechComMike

Arachnopeon
My wife goes from being comfortable to 1 million degrees in a split second (hormones, hypothalamus gone wild, who knows?) so we tend to run the whole house on the cooler end (66 usually). Anyway, just in case, have stuck a few thermometers in the enclosures and will back heat a corner of each so T's have a choice of temps. Thanks to all who chimed in.

cold blood

Staff member
will back heat a corner of each so T's have a choice of temps
Nope, you cant do this.....ts are drawn to heat like a moth to a flame...and like the moth, drawn to their detriment....give a t a chance to get on a heat source and they take it, and it could easily kill them.

Heating a larger enclosure with a mat, and placing your ts enclosure within that is a much safer way to add heat....this takes a dangerous direct heat and turns it to a safer secondary heat. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

Minty

@londontarantulas
I don’t even pay attention to temperature. Just rely on my central heating in the house.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
I don’t even pay attention to temperature. Just rely on my central heating in the house.
So do I. However, I recently noticed that of all rooms in the house the heating doesn't seem to work properly in my spider room. When it got cold outside it fell to 19,8 C. I only noticed after a while since I am not very cold-sensitive.

Since I now have to monitor temparture I try to keep it between 22 and 23 C.