DO you handle your...

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I handle my two inch juvie but much like it will be when it matures it is starting to kick hairs so Im about to stop handling it. They are notorious for kicking hairs

8legs2shave

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea thats about the same size as mine. I was just curious. I thought somebody here posted they were semi-aggressive?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My male is no longer with us, but when he was, no I didn't handle him. He wasn't aggressive, but he was lightening fast and very nervous. He shot out of his house once while being fed and it took a hair raising 20 minutes to capture and replace him.
And yes, I do think they are classified as semi aggressive.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Didn't we JUST HAVE a thread like this?

Yea thats about the same size as mine. I was just curious. I thought somebody here posted they were semi-aggressive?
They aren't aggressive, but if you so much as blink wrong, it will be *gone*. I would never in a million years try to handle mine.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nope not I...ours has by accident hopped onto Wolfy's hand the one time but I avoid doing that with any of my T's anymore....I just get yelled at anyways lol ;) No fear means one day I'll be typing a lil thread in the bite reports.

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I haven't tried to handle mine at all. Its 2.75" right now, and I've noticed after its latest molt it has been prone to kicking hairs more, plus it just seems more jittery than my other t's. So I don't think I will in future....

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I haven't tried to handle mine at all. Its 2.75" right now, and I've noticed after its latest molt it has been prone to kicking hairs more, plus it just seems more jittery than my other t's. So I don't think I will in future....
exactly! mine arent aggressive per say...but they will kick hairs like crazy!!! and like everyone has already said...they are fast as lightning!

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine is fairly docile, but still I try to handle them as little as possible. It's mostly because I don't want to hurt the spider. I think these fast species are not recommended for handling.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine is reaching towards 5" and I wouldn't risk eating a cloud of hairs for the dubious pleasure of handling her.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you handle your Chromatopelma cyanopubescens?
Yes, I do from time to time but, that is only when she is in the mood to tolerate handling. Most of the time she kicks hair and or retreats to her hide. I also prefer handling near the ground so an accidental jump or fall will less likely result in death.

My 2 cents on the whole handling thing is: All species are capable of being handled. The method on which the handling is preformed all varies on your personal comfort level IMO. (Example: Fast vs Slow and so on) I personally only handle my less high strung individuals.

Sure there is an occasion where a frightened, curious, hungry, and etc might run out of the container and prodding is needed due to the personality/intelligence of the tarantula but, it almost always results in recapture.

Tarantulas or any pets are being kept for the love of the animals themselves (or they should be) and shouldn't be feared but, respected and loved.

Brian

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I handled mine for the first time today, purely because hshe wen for a mission up the enclosure wall, then she chose to walk on to my hand..she was good as gold, she roughly the same size as caco's

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh my god you are so brave Caco, you even handle your H maculata :rolleyes:

Im off, lol

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You should make more video and picture and post them on forum to show everybady you can do it :eek: