Do you handle your Ts?

MrJohn

Arachnopeon
I don't take them out to play, but if I have to rehouse them or if they bolt during a feeding and have to be wrangled, I usually go at it bare handed. I have never been fanged................... legs slapped and chased yes, but never tagged. I always have a catch-cup at the ready, but I rarely resort to it. I have a friend that has never even picked up her G. Rosie. To this day she will bring her into my classroom for maintenance.

Last edited:

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Since the answer to your handling questions can be found with a simple search, what else do you want to know?

-Sean

Last edited:

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mr John, I for one welcome new threads that bring up the subject of handling, and I know that others do to. Just because a subject has been treated before in previous threads does not mean that the subject can't be brought up again, and many new members of the FORUM may not have had the occasion to relate their experiences. That said, if you want to check out my many threads and posts on handling, GO FOR IT (you'll see that it's a subject near and dear to my ... tarantulas!)

Here's my take on handling: I've had 3 instances where, given the opportunity, my smithi and my first A. genic vacated their premises - I recovered the smithi both times - the A genic ... well, wherever he ended up I hope he's happy. And I've had many occasions where my other Ts have expressed interest and curiosity in what lies beyond the limits of their enclosures. So clearly they WANT to come out for a look around - I figure, why not let them, under supervision? And most of them have answered that question with enthusiasm, albeit tentative at first (my pulchra made it clear, in a poignant way, that he didn't like the experience, so I've left him alone - my A genic makes me so itchy that, although the handling experience was just dandy, I'm going to leave him alone from now on too).

I "take them out to play" and I'm not afraid to say so (but let me warn you, when you start a thread about handling, you're asking for trouble - it's probably the most polarizing subject on the forum) ... I got into the hobby after having handled a G pulchripes - after that experience, I just had to have one of my own! I consider handling one of the true joys of this hobby - can't do that with pit vipers, snapping turtles, or ebola viruses - but with Ts? SI SE PUEDE!

The fact is that your thread inspired me today to do something I have not as yet done as a T keeper: take my LP out for a stroll. He's the only one of my 9 Ts I have not "pressed the flesh" with, although I've had him for a couple of years now, so, thanks to you, TODAY'S THE DAY. Stand by ...

Okay, all went well - Peau Grise had his first outing since I got him as a sling ... he flicked hairs as I corralled him into the styrofoam cup (I didn't have the patience to wait for him to come out on his own), but he behaved like a gentleman once on my hand ... here we are ...

Ready for your close up, Mr T?

Thanks Mr John - I have now handled all 9 of my Ts, even my B vagans Diablo, the spawn of the devil! (Come to think of it, I might just start a thread of my own on that story!)

kanito107

Arachnosquire
Well glad I'm not the only one who sees forums that way, and this has been long overdue.
This is a forum, for which people can go in and ask questions and get them answered by the people who uses these forums, but if I have to sit here and ask something only to be sent to a search function, I could have easily gone to google but no that's what FORUMS are for. So people can talk to each other about tarantula experiences. And if I'm wrong then this might as well just be turned into a website with information on tarantulas. Exept it wouldn't be as used as much.

On the topic I don't normally handle my ts because the big ones that are handable seem to show defense towards anything that touches them so pretty much if you lay a finger on them they think your food, every time I touch them with a brush they attack it, but believe menif they were calmer I could take them out for walks more frequent, I just cant wait for my oil gripes to get bigger, it's only 1 and a half inches big.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I "take them out to play" and I'm not afraid to say so (but let me warn you, when you start a thread about handling, you're asking for trouble - it's probably the most polarizing subject on the forum) ... I got into the hobby after having handled a G pulchripes - after that experience, I just had to have one of my own! I consider handling one of the true joys of this hobby - can't do that with pit vipers, snapping turtles, or ebola viruses - but with Ts? SI SE PUEDE!
With that already stated, and previous thread(s) linked, Let me remind people that opinions are just that:
- not facts
- should not be presented as fact
- need to be respected even if you disagree

meaningful discourse is what makes topics like these educational.
carry on. :)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nerri said it all. But ill bite once again...

If you -Killy- are talking about "poder" , you can handle vipers, snapping turtles or even a 20 feet crocodile if you like. That doesnt mean you should, or that is not detrimental to them.

Ill say once again; let them be in their tanks. They will be "happier".

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just picked up my E. murinus today..... (She ran over my hand then I cupped her softly with a pillow case as she was darting up my curtain)
I can and sometimes do handle all my other OW's.. only have 3 newworlds left but i fear hairs. Fangs are sexy.
I don't recommend it.. unless you can accept the consequences that you are at fault if you or the spider hurts itself...

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Well, I'm glad there are people that feel that way too. There is always room for different opinions on a forum.. But now for my retort:

Lets first talk about what a forum is for.. Yes, it is for discussion. To encourage debate and sharing of views, pictures, disciplines, lol's, etc.. But they're also for consulting others on advice, (which is why we have topics.. you go to an arachnid board to find more people into arachnids). Look at how many threads are started with questions asking for help, quite a few, huh? That's where those with experience have stepped in, answering questions, giving advice, helping out the new people into the hobby, and helping others with different expertise in areas that they lack.

Alot of senior members have put in hours and hours of time answering people. This board has a wealth of information almost un-comparable to any other hobby, just because of the selectivity of its participants, the moderation from those in charge, the professionalism, and the experts we have amongst us. Now, in recent times, we have taken such an increase in new participants it throws the advice on these boards into question..how? Lack of evidence, substance, proof, and general experience.

What happens is, with all the time the seniors have put into these boards, when they see just another 'heat mat burnt ma T' thread, they just remember the last 16 times they answered that.. and ignore it. So then what? Eight other members post in, 3 inexperienced members use heat mats, 2 don't because they read, 1 doesn't know what a B. smithi is, and the last 2 post in agreement with other posts by contributing "durr +1". When a simple search from the OP could have presented them with 50 threads about heating mats being a bad idea, and the issue never could have been brought up.

But now that thread is still here, its archived. And the more 'hey my heat mat gets hot' threads that pop up, the more that cycle repeats itself.. until at some point just cruising through the forum presents you with threads about members using heat pads, and it looks like a good idea! And the senior members just shrug it off. They're not wanting to waste their time if you're not willing to wisely use yours doing research. The issue could have been resolved by just reading a sticky at the top of the forum. Look how many questions are asked that are DIRECTLY answered in stickies.

Is this an exaggeration? Not really, its how this forum will retort to barbaric 'who does what the most' mentality to decide on what to do. Which we don't want at all. Its about respect for the information here, to not treat us like a genie-in-a-lamp, but to use it for its intended purpose, to CONTRIBUTE and share information. Not lay back and watch people flock to serve every whim

We don't want this site to become an ancient encyclopedia either. The influx of new members is exactly what this hobby needs, new generations, more breeders, more comradery.. and this site is perfect for that. But to prevent the degradation of the information here, what we need is for new threads to be started with understanding that research has been performed, the old information reviewed, and THEN the discussion can begin. Informed discussions are great, blind 'what do you do' questions are just lazy and not going to forward the knowledge of its members...

I mean how does that look to the lurkers? The new browsers looking for a good site? Would you want to walk into a dojo and see all yellow, orange, blue, and green belts arguing over how to do something right while the blackbelts sit in the back admiring their trophies? You'd walk right out like "Nope.jpg" and probably not go back.

That is why we ask people to search, when its blatantly obvious they haven't. There may be times when you can't find information, there are times when something should be re-investigated, when posts are questioned, and I understand that. There is no reason we should have any less threads then we do, but they should be filled with more up-to-date information and relevant discussions.. rather than almost identical threads. Does that seem reasonable?

And yes, I handle all my t's.

-Sean

kanito107

Arachnosquire
That sounds reasonable nough for me, you made really great points, but why not instead of posting links to ansearch function we tackle the problem from the beginning, like say maybe directing new users, people who join, to the post about using the search function, frequently asked questions, and a warm welcome,
Because really all that is doing is making new people, lurkers alike look at these posts and say wow this websites full of know it all people, when really we just try to help, I mean sure all the information about new people is posted in the front page but really, I don't think thats the first thing they go look at, because c'mon people keep posting about something that's stickies.
Idk if I'm making sense but that's my opinion.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's what the rules, stickies, articles, and signatures are for.

Here's something I pulled up using the search:

tjmi2k - If you ran a search for pretty much what you just said, you will find this has already been discussed many times before.

I will, however, take more of my time to give you the 'run down' as to why your couple sentence quoted above are not true.

If people would stop asking the stupid (or repeat, take your pick) questions, then the discussion forum's front page would be full of threads that are actually semi important or require more brainpower and discussion than 'why won't my rosie eat?' or 'does this look like premolt?' or any other similar threads.

This would lead to more intelligent conversation and people learning tons more than seeing the same five or ten questions asked over and over again.

There is also no way possible that every question has been asked. I continually think of things that I have never seen covered on AB (that doesn't mean they have never been addressed before), but you get my point. Keep your eye on the boards, you'll see. That is, if you aren't bombarded by all the 'noop' :? questions.

And as far as your missing the recent thread about this exact same thing...if you had taken the time to search and find it, it probably would have taken less of it than it would have to start your new thread and post your replies thus far. So saying you would rather spend time with your arachnids is another statement that really makes no sense.

Learning how to use this forum and its tools is just as valuable as learning about the arachnids you and I both love. Something everyone on these boards has in common, even if that's the only thing.

I believe your question has been answered and there is no more reason to post on this thread. Of course, I expect you will respond to me, which is fine. :) However, based on what you said, shouldn't the mods lock this thread down now that your question has been answered? :?

(obligatory smileys so people don't think I'm being mean):

:) :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :} {D

--Joe

boxofsorrows

Arachnopeon
In answer to the OP's question, without getting into the search debate. The only one of mine that I handle is my Euathlus sp 'Red Chile Flame' and only because it's so laid back and merrily climbs out of the tub with no encouragement. It doesn't do much once on my hand, has a sit and think for a while then a little plod around without any rush. Nothing really gained from it for the spider, only real gain for me is that it gives me a chance, as a newb, to get more familiar with the T's characteristics and habits, a better understanding a little bit at a time.

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
I have a friend that has never even picked up her G. Rosie. To this day she will bring her into my classroom for maintenance.
That sounds like a time when my sister had to take care of my G. rosea, when I was out of state. She would never go near it and would just open the lid a couple of inches when putting food and water in. I found it so funny because it was a rosie and she was so afraid of it.:laugh:

BTW, no I don't handle my tarantulas, but during maintenance I do some times pick them up.

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In answer to the OP's question, without getting into the search debate. The only one of mine that I handle is my Euathlus sp 'Red Chile Flame' and only because it's so laid back and merrily climbs out of the tub with no encouragement. It doesn't do much once on my hand, has a sit and think for a while then a little plod around without any rush. Nothing really gained from it for the spider, only real gain for me is that it gives me a chance, as a newb, to get more familiar with the T's characteristics and habits, a better understanding a little bit at a time.
I'm in the same exact boat. I love that little girl 'cause she's so great about everything, Euathlus sp. "Red/Yellow/Orange/Flame/Whatever you wanna call it" are an excellent species all around and top on my list of recommending a T for handling(this is also great for getting others to hold since there isn't the intimidation of size). As for the rest of my Ts, every once in awhile(a long while) will I hold some of the others. Usually this is also the result of rehousing or a new T that I feel is docile enough. It also has a lot do with my knowledge of the specific T's behavior and how they generally react. Certain Ts of mine I will not handle since I know how they are(whether it's the anger of my Haplopelma lividum or the itchiness of my Lasiodora parahybana

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ShadowBlade, that was very well said and eloquently laid out. If I wasn't so opposed to facebook and facebook-like things, I would've "thanked" and "liked" that post. Keep hope alive!

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
it's probably the most polarizing subject on the forum
I think that honor would go to feeding vertebrates to t's

On topic, I wil occasionally handle one or two of my t's, particularly if trying to show someone them, but it's rare and only with species I feel comfortable won't be a problem. Ones like my OBT, cobalt blue, or P. striata, there's no way.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well glad I'm not the only one who sees forums that way, and this has been long overdue.
This is a forum, for which people can go in and ask questions and get them answered by the people who uses these forums, but if I have to sit here and ask something only to be sent to a search function, I could have easily gone to google but no that's what FORUMS are for. So people can talk to each other about tarantula experiences. And if I'm wrong then this might as well just be turned into a website with information on tarantulas. Exept it wouldn't be as used as much.

On the topic I don't normally handle my ts because the big ones that are handable seem to show defense towards anything that touches them so pretty much if you lay a finger on them they think your food, every time I touch them with a brush they attack it, but believe menif they were calmer I could take them out for walks more frequent, I just cant wait for my oil gripes to get bigger, it's only 1 and a half inches big.
I never understood why some people are that way. There's so many more experienced people on this and other forums who are so freaking impatient and rude towards people who are new to the hobby.

I don't like to handle any of mine because I hate to stress them out.