Do you get upset when your new sling is bigger than advertised?

absoluteyellow

Arachnopeon
Call me crazy but I'm a little upset when my sling arrived bigger than advertised.

I bought it as 1.5" guaranteed female sling, but it turned out to be almost 3" and had all the adult coloration.

IMO, the most interesting molt is when a sling , for the first time, molted into a adult-color juvenile. I think I was kind of disappointed when I missed that molt.

Am I crazy? what do you think?

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I was upset once when my B.albopilosum I ordered turned out to be A LOT bigger than indicated(supposed to be 1 inch and got 3 inches). But now I'm actually happier it turned out that way.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As long as its female i woulodnt really care. at 1.5" that seems a little small to sex, but i get what you mean about wanting to see its molts. Whats the sling?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Depends on the species I guess. If I ordered a 1/2" sling of a premium slow grower like C. crawshayi or G. pulchra I wouldn't mind if it showed up as 1" or 1.5", that's like a year of growth! If it was a GBB or Avic or something else that grows fast I might be a little dissapointed. I like watching them grow too.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do get upset if there is a big difference in size but thats mostly due to me having a cage set up for a smaller T then having to scramble to get a bigger one set up quickly.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The size advertised just depends on how the seller measures. Some people measure body only, some measure front to back, some measure diagonally. The best thing to do is to ask the seller how they measure. Even then, the measurement could be under or over estimated.

absoluteyellow

Arachnopeon
The size advertised just depends on how the seller measures. Some people measure body only, some measure front to back, some measure diagonally. The best thing to do is to ask the seller how they measure. Even then, the measurement could be under or over estimated.
I might be wrong but I was under the impression that everybody refers to diagonal leg span. I wouldn't care if it's only 20%-30% difference. But how could you say it's 1.5" when it's actually 3".

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Even with everyone referring to DLS, there's different interpretations to that. Is it at a relaxed stance? A stretched stance? Is it on some kind of torture chamber stretching machine? Perhaps the last molt stretched out as far as it can go?

I've seen someone else do it before and I've started doing it myself, and I think it really gives true size expectations.

Standard mat used in sewing, has 1" grid on it. Easy to see size and how relaxed/taut the spider is.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't care if my slings come in bigger than I expect. I actually prefer it.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I might be wrong but I was under the impression that everybody refers to diagonal leg span. I wouldn't care if it's only 20%-30% difference. But how could you say it's 1.5" when it's actually 3".
Most people do DLS, but over the years there have been people that do it other ways. If you ever have a doubt, make sure to ask...plus you could ask for a picture for reference.

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
IMO, you have to wait less time for it to mature and you get a discount.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I suggest buying from robc next time if you want something smaller than advertised vs. bigger. {D {D

squinn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm in the way happier when it is bigger camp on this one. Almost get a feeling of being taken advantage of when an animal is smaller than represented whereas larger is a bonus so to speak.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I might be wrong but I was under the impression that everybody refers to diagonal leg span.
Nope. A lot of hobbyists use diagonal leg span, at least in the U.S. People with a more scientific background are likely to use body length. And there are other methods as well. (I think someone posted here once that in Europe they don't generally use the diagonal leg span, but maybe some of you European members could comment on this.) Although I recognize that vendors here often use diagonal leg span, I tend to describe mine by body length. (But I don't sell, so I don't have upset customers.)

When in doubt - ask which method is used. And if you are particular about the size range, mention that. Some vendors think they are doing you a favor in giving you a bigger specimen (more for your money), and some buyers appreciate that.

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a poor college kid so I pretty much am restricted to only buying slings at the moment. If one comes in larger than advertised it's like Christmas. Sometimes it can be a little startling opening the vial up for the first time and a behemith crawls out. I just can't believe how slow some of the slings grow. I've had a 1/4" Aphonopelma Hentzi for a long while now and it hasn't grown a bit. The weird thing though, my G Pulchra is growing like a weed. Figure that one out!

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just assume sizes are estimates so I'm not upset if they are larger than expected. In my case I typically buy slings or immature males, and I have enough females to go around. I don't mind if a male matures too soon or if a girl can be added to a breeding group sooner than expected. If they are considerably smaller than stated, then I feel like I paid too much and I typically shy away from that seller unless it is something I really want.

Jack III

Arachnocultured
Old Timer
As long as it arrives alive and in good condition I'm pleased, regardless if it is sl larger than anticipated.