Do you ever feel bad for the prey?

Varla Einin

Arachnopeon
I treat my crickets pretty well- they get that water jelly stuff, cricket food, and potatoes to munch on. They live a comfy life before they become sacrafices for my Ts or Bearded Dragon's ^^

They don't live very long lives anyways so I don't feel too bad for them.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I feel bad for them, yes. But the little guys only exist in the first place because they were going to be used as a food source. I enjoy watching them live out their little lives if they're the lucky ones, I feed them like kings and try to avoid making them suffer any more than necessary. Quite a few times I've seen a look on a cricket's face that I would call pleading for mercy on a human, but my tarantulas need to eat. It's just the way things are.

I eat meat myself. I thank the creature it came from for its sacrifice, I acknowledge that it came from a living/breathing/feeling creature, but I still eat it. I just try to support farming methods where the animals experience the best possible life before slaughter when I can.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
as others have said I personally don't bother about feeding crickets to my T's because its a quick death and they are well looked after up until that point, its only natural. Mantids on the other hand are brutal, the literally just start eating it no mater what end it grabs it at. for my mantis I always hold the cricket by the back legs so it grabs it head first and hopefully kills it quickly.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Back when I first got my beardie I would feel like I was committing genocide lol. It was the first time I was feeding live so it was a completely new experience and I did feel guilt for 'killing' the crickets. As time passed, however, I became desensitized and eventually I grew to hate the crickets. Curiously enough, I started breeding my own Dubia roaches and I don't feel bad about feeding them off but I do feel bad if a baby died for no reason. I had some escapes a while back and it bummed me out to find a few dead in my binder and notebook.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I'm honestly surprised there's more tarantula keepers on here that don't eat meat. Makes me feel a little better. Lol

As for feeling bad for the prey, yes I do. I feel sorry for anything that's life is ending. The excuse that people use that "It doesn't understand, so it's okay" has it's points I agree with but also still leave me feeling sorry.

That being said, I understand an animal's need to eat. I also understand that they need to eat what they're designed to eat. I have far fewer complaints about an animal eating another animal than most humans eating animals. I don't feel as bad knowing that I'm just giving my Ts access to the food they need, they waste almost nothing, and they don't kill "just because". They kill to eat and therefore live.

But I've already written a fair amount, and this is a topic I could spend hours on, so I'm gonna stop right here.

athlete96

Arachnosquire
I'm honestly surprised there's more tarantula keepers on here that don't eat meat. Makes me feel a little better. Lol
I'm completely vegan here. Mainly due a non-functioning digestive system. :vomit:

I feel bad for the insects - especially when I'm ripping legs of crickets and smooshing superworm heads. They do get water, lovely cornmeal to burrow in (for my worms thats is) and water.

At the end of the day, my animals need to eat and I'll do whatever it takes to feed them a proper diet where they thrive.

AKA.. I'm not that vegan who would also make their cat go vegan. Seriously those people need to jump off a cliff.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I feel bad for when i see people feeding their t's rodents. I feel more empathy for rodents than crickets. I suspect that rodents are bad for a t's health as well. Too much calcium is suspected by some to lead to molting problems

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
No because I've been bitten by crickets, superworms and even goddamn mealworms! Don't ask how a mealworm bit me, I accidentally dropped one on my feet and the next thing I know I feel a slight sensation of pain. No remorse whatsoever for feeders, that's their purpose in life.