Do T'z eat there Molt

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My redknee just got done with his molt, and it looks like he's eating it. Do T'z do that???

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have read that some will eat the molt to replenish vitamins lost due to the process itself. Now whether that info is legit or not I dont know but they will eat it.

dale

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've also read they do this in order to regain some of the fluids that were left in the sheds.... . . :cool:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually, a T is incapable of eating it's own moult. Their enzymes cannot break down the chitinous layer of arthropod exoskeletons (this is why you have a food bolus left over, some things can't be dissolved). When a T is preparing to moult, enzymes very similar to their digestive enzymes dissolve everything of their old exoskeleton except that outer layer, which must be shed physically.

Now, some Ts will chew their old exoskeleton and they may be sucking up some of the liquid goo associated with a fresh moult, or they may just be covering their tracks by destryoing the evidence, but they are not eating the shed itself.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
CodeMonkey<>That makes better sense than what I have read because most t's seem to be unable to digest the exoskeleton of thier cricket meal. Some I have noticed either eat the whole thing or they hide them because they mysteriously disappear. The piece I have read on this actually explained it as if they "chew" up the old exuvium and ingest it. But I guess it is about as credible as the Discovery channel referring to a T's fangs as "hooks". And yes they did that. Some educational info huh?

dale