Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Nope

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Not entirely sure

Votes: 22 25.6%

• Total voters

Skull Kid

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone! I've been thinking about this lately;perhaps a bit too deeply at that..do tarantulas recognize? Say, example, their owner? I've heard of some Ts that are sweethearts to their owners but are defensive around others that are not..I know they have feelings, but from what I know, they aren't a very..(I want to say loving, but that's probably not the right word) arachnid at all..at least to their babies (Not all, perhaps!). What is your thoughts on the matter? It's just something that's been my hot topic, nothing major.

Sage

Arachnopeon
It's really strange but I've gotten into the habit of talking every time I take off the lid to feed my Chilean rose. Just say a 'hey there buddy' like any stereotypical female around her pets and he thinks twice before scurrying off to hide. So maybe he's learned to connect the sound of my voice + lid being removed = food? A shot in the dark I know but hey it made me think. c:

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
No, I do not believe that tarantulas can learn to recognize us, or be tamed etc etc. They just do not possess the brain or thought capacity to do this. An inverts brain is very simple compared to that of mammals, or even reptiles.

Skull Kid

Arachnopeon
@Sage: I do the same with my rosie. Sometimes I end up talking to her, too, like saying, "Hey sweetheart, how are you?" or "You're so cute, I swear." or "I love you, silly spider!" It's probably abnormal or even inhuman to some people, but I don't care! :]

@Shell: I was thinking along those lines, too, but it's fun to think that they can..LOL

@Hobo: You win the internet.

Sage

Arachnopeon
I laughed. Good job Hobo.

I know I do that too as weird as it sounds. But whenever the lid pops off and then I talk? I swear he waits for crickets. Any other time he's probably like 'please just be quiet'.

Louis Winthorpe III

Arachnopeon
Sounds like a Pavlovian response to me. When I had a lateralis colony, they would all come crawling out of their tubes because they knew they were about to be fed.

Sage

Arachnopeon
Pavlov's dogs, good stuff! But yeah same concept. Doesn't mean I'm loved, just means I remind something of food. Better than nothin! ;D

synyster

Arachnobaron
Hey everyone! I've been thinking about this lately;perhaps a bit too deeply at that..do tarantulas recognize?
No

Say, example, their owner?
No

I've heard of some Ts that are sweethearts to their owners but are defensive around others that are not..
No

I know they have feelings,
Sorry, but no

but from what I know, they aren't a very..(I want to say loving, but that's probably not the right word) arachnid at all..at least to their babies (Not all, perhaps!).
They will eat their offspring if left too long together

What is your thoughts on the matter?
Spiders do not recognize or have feelings

It's just something that's been my hot topic, nothing major.
Glad I could help

Skull Kid

Arachnopeon
@synyster: So stress isn't a feeling? I found the response hopelessly smart-alec, mate. 8/ Kinda made me feel stupid.

@Amoeba: On the other hand, thanks for the thread, it really helped! :)

Last edited:

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
It's ok to make believe or even entertain the thought. My Ts offer me the chance to care for, and learn alot. It's a fun and theraputic hobby for me. The fact is, that they don't have the brain capacity for compassion (for lack of better choice of a word). I love my Ts though, and that's all that counts! It's fun to have an imagination every once in a while too!

Shell

Staff member
Stress to us, is a feeling. An animal, especially an invert is not going to feel stress the same way we do, so still not a "feeling" but a reaction to something possibly threatening in their environment. There's quite a big difference.

synyster

Arachnobaron
@synyster: So stress isn't a feeling? I found the response hopelessly smart-alec, mate. 8/ Kinda made me feel stupid
Shell quoted about the stress factor and did it pretty well so I don't need to elaborate.

As for the original reply, it wasn't intended or oriented in a way to make you feel stupid but more in a humorous way of pointing out that they do not possess intelligence or recognition of humans, and were clearly my thoughts about the question. But sorry if you did feel stupid. As for smart-alec, I don't quite know what that means but I guess it's somewhere along the lines of your post.

Your the one who asked for our thoughts in your post, and don't appreciate the way I gave mine. Don't blame me...

Skull Kid

Arachnopeon
@Popsmoke: Exactly my thoughts, mate!

@Shell: I never quite thought of it like that, thanks for the brainfood :]

@synyster: I apologize, it's just a bit hard to tell via internet, and plus, I haven't felt all that well lately anyway..I thank you for clarifying, though. :)

Walk Alone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I believe that tarantulas can relate the opening of a lid with receiving prey. For example, some will come out of their burrows knowing that food is on the way as opposed to running to their burrows when they are startled.

But as far as who is actually providing the food - they have no clue. In fact, I'm pretty sure my cats dont either. :p

Shell

Staff member
I believe that tarantulas can relate the opening of a lid with receiving prey. For example, some will come out of their burrows knowing that food is on the way as opposed to running to their burrows when they are startled.

But as far as who is actually providing the food - they have no clue. In fact, I'm pretty sure my cats dont either. :p
I don't personally believe that it means they are associating the opening of the lid with food, more that they feel the vibrations of their territory being disturbed and are coming to "check it out." Some are just more bold than others, so instead of hiding, they respond to the vibrations/disturbance differently. Just my opinion.