Do Ts eat their old molts?

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
My Nhandu chromatus molted a few months ago. The entrance to the burrow is at the back side of the enclosure, so I only saw the old molt when the T just molted (had to put the enclosures in a closet temporarily).

I just checked and the molt is gone? She seems really big though, hard to estimate but I got her last april at 1 cm body length, and now its about 4cm body length. dls I estimate on 4"? Seems like a fast grower.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Befana took away that molt... she just arrived earlier for avoid Santa's sexist jokes u_u

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My Nhandu chromatus molted a few months ago. The entrance to the burrow is at the back side of the enclosure, so I only saw the old molt when the T just molted (had to put the enclosures in a closet temporarily).

I just checked and the molt is gone? She seems really big though, hard to estimate but I got her last april at 1 cm body length, and now its about 4cm body length. dls I estimate on 4"? Seems like a fast grower.
Sometimes they will chew it up and incorporate it into their burrow but usually it just ends up being tossed out somewhere eventually.
But no they do not actually "eat" it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Not only do they not eat the exuvia, they physically can't eat it. I've seen a few instances of them sucking the fluids up after a molt, but as for the exuvia itself, it's entirely inedible.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not only do they not eat the exuvia, they physically can't eat it. I've seen a few instances of them sucking the fluids up after a molt, but as for the exuvia itself, it's entirely inedible.
I heard Curly Hairs smoked over a warm fire taste good this time of year ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're snarky lately! Been taking lessons?
When you're an Old Timer you speak your mind more often, but within the TOS.

Truthfully, after you read some of the same things over and over, I can't resist but say something a bit funny. If I didn't have to abide by the TOS, I'd have a lot more funny things to say hah.