Do tarantulas see camera flashes?

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I have noticed that even my more photophobic/ skittish tarantulas do not react to the camera flash. Is it too fast for them to see it?

I took two of my H.Mac and she has not even flinched. She tends to notice me coming.

Attachments

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I use a powerful studio strobe with a 60" softbox on the front, and I've never seen any of them react to it. If they can see it, they don't seem to be bothered by it.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I use a powerful studio strobe with a 60" softbox on the front, and I've never seen any of them react to it. If they can see it, they don't seem to be bothered by it.
The photography aspect of the hobby is quite amazing. I really appreciate those that can get good closeups of the t's. I only have my phone cam and it never quite captures it

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The photography aspect of the hobby is quite amazing. I really appreciate those that can get good closeups of the t's. I only have my phone cam and it never quite captures it

It never will compared to traditional cameras, it isn't possible.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I've never had one so much as twitch, and I've taken a lot of pictures of them.

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They might "think" it's just bad weather :) Light intensity changes aren't dangerous, it makes sense that they are more sensitive to vibrations and air movement because that's how they detect a predator in the wild,
Also, their eyes are on the carapace so in your pic it was only exposed to the light that got reflected.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
This is my currently setup (ugly, but functional 🤣), I rarely get a reaction of my Ts with this setup, and rarely got with others I made in the past.

20200820_221419.jpg

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Ask an H. Maculata how it likes camera flash. :)

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I dont use mere flash, but have my torch app turned on continuously during photographs. The only spiders that react to it are a handful of trapdoors and funnelwebs

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I use flash 100% of the time and only have a handful of spiders who flee from it.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Bulldozer, one of my pulchras, comes forward to investigate whenever the flash starts going off, even if I am photographing a different tarantula.

Most of my other tarantulas seem indifferent to the flash, though many will react to the activity by retreating.