Do tarantulas normally molt in tight spaces?

adz

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I own a Stirmi and I'm pretty sure it's in pre-molt (refusing to eat, shiny bald spot on the bum and sluggish walking for a few weeks now).

I'm worried that the burrow it's currently in is too small for it to molt in? I've attached a couple of pictures, what do you think guys? Thanks!

tarantula_2.png trantula_1.png

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
They will moult where they see fit.

Tight spaces may cause a problem. Theraphosa seem to be a bit more delicate during molts. If you want to be safe you could directly lift the hide and replace with a larger one in the same spot.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If it's like the one I use for Ringo it's ceiling is taller then it looks. I'd just let it do it's thing.

cold blood

Staff member
If it's like the one I use for Ringo it's ceiling is taller then it looks. I'd just let it do it's thing.
yeah...plus a proper hide allows for excavation...this way the t can create the needed room.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
More often than not, they have no problem moulting in tight spaces, they need a lot less space than we often think they will, if there isn't enough vertical space then they will push the old exoskeleton off to one side (my L. parahybana picked the most cramped spot she could find in her enclosure to moult when she was a juvie and was fine), it may still excavate to make the necessary room or just opt to moult out in the open.

adz

Arachnopeon
Looks a little dry in there.
I can assure you it's not dry I spray the left hand side of the tank with water on the daily.

Also thank for the help guys. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and let her molt as she sees fit.

boina

Lady of the mites
I can assure you it's not dry I spray the left hand side of the tank with water on the daily.

Also thank for the help guys. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and let her molt as she sees fit.
Unfortunately, spraying doesn't do much for proper moisture levels, although it is often advertised. The whole substrate should be moist for any Theraphosa species, not just one side. It may be better to just water the whole substrate down once or twice a week, depending on how fast it dries out.

adz

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately, spraying doesn't do much for proper moisture levels, although it is often advertised. The whole substrate should be moist for any Theraphosa species, not just one side. It may be better to just water the whole substrate down once or twice a week, depending on how fast it dries out.
yeah, Theraposa require damp sub...theyre prone to molting issues and dehydration if kept too dry.
Looks a little dry in there.
More often than not, they have no problem moulting in tight spaces, they need a lot less space than we often think they will, if there isn't enough vertical space then they will push the old exoskeleton off to one side (my L. parahybana picked the most cramped spot she could find in her enclosure to moult when she was a juvie and was fine), it may still excavate to make the necessary room or just opt to moult out in the open.
Hey guys, some update, the tarantula has stayed in the same spot for a day now and I can see a 2 cracks on its legs. I've linked an image (if you look closely on the right hand side is where the crack is on the leg). I touched it with soft tissue paper to see if it would react but there was no movement. Any help? Thanks

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Can't really tell much from the pic, but are you sure that's not the molt? I'd just lift the hide, and see if everything's alright.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Hey guys, some update, the tarantula has stayed in the same spot for a day now and I can see a 2 cracks on its legs. I've linked an image (if you look closely on the right hand side is where the crack is on the leg). I touched it with soft tissue paper to see if it would react but there was no movement. Any help? Thanks
Looks to be flipped for molting. Cracks couldve come from it pushing the exuviae off.
Edit: or as @Ghost56 pointed out it could BE the exuviae. Although i wouldnt move the hide just in case its still soft. Never know what could happen. Itll clear it on its own when its ready if thats the case

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Just leave it be, it's probably molting very soon.

adz

Arachnopeon
Just leave it be, it's probably molting very soon.
Looks to be flipped for molting. Cracks couldve come from it pushing the exuviae off.
Edit: or as @Ghost56 pointed out it could BE the exuviae. Although i wouldnt move the hide just in case its still soft. Never know what could happen. Itll clear it on its own when its ready if thats the case
Can't really tell much from the pic, but are you sure that's not the molt? I'd just lift the hide, and see if everything's alright.
Ok I removed the hide and she seems to be moving fine (she wasn't molting). To be honest as far as I can tell the hide is way too small for her to molt in. I'll make a bigger one for her now. Thanks guys.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Ok I removed the hide and she seems to be moving fine (she wasn't molting). To be honest as far as I can tell the hide is way too small for her to molt in. I'll make a bigger one for her now. Thanks guys.
Sounds good. She'll settle back in just fine with a new hide, or molt out in the open if she needs to.

Last edited: