Do tarantulas never leave their burrow?

The Amazing Me

Arachnopeon
I am really sorry for posting a lot. But I am a new guy and need information on tarantulas. And they said only do research here.
So I setteled on the Aphonopelma chalcodes, because doing studies I found it was a drier animal and the Green bottle blue seemed to be a bit too skittish.
Anyway the question on hand. I know tarantulas burrow. But when they burrow do they never come up and do you never see them. I learned you are not supposed to handle but I do not want to pay thirty bucks to look at dirt. I am fascinated with tarantulas. And if Aphonopelma chaclodes does it what kind of tarantula is the least of a pet hole.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yes you see them. They dont do much though :rofl:

If you get A. chalcodes I can almost guarantee you will see it out in the open around 80% of the time.

..not doing much.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know tarantulas burrow. But when they burrow do they never come up and do you never see them. ...I do not want to pay thirty bucks to look at dirt.
:happy:

I've found that my terrestrial species are regularly out chilling. Even my GBB is pretty good about being out the majority of the time waiting for prey (they're eight legged pigs). I've noticed even further increase in "bold" attitudes as they got bigger too.

The ones you probably want to stay away from then are the fossorial ones. They're what we like to call pet holes. In fact there are several arboreal species just as elusive.

Go look up H. pulchripes or M. balfouri ... now those are some expensive dirt holes...

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I don't have A. chalcodes, but I have other Aphonopelma species, and they are topside just as much if not more than they are in their burrows.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Anyway the question on hand. I know tarantulas burrow. But when they burrow do they never come up and do you never see them. I learned you are not supposed to handle but I do not want to pay thirty bucks to look at dirt. I am fascinated with tarantulas. And if Aphonopelma chaclodes does it what kind of tarantula is the least of a pet hole.
Most of my terrestrial species are out at least 80% of the time, and a few, like my B. smithi and G. porteri , are out 98% - 100% of the time.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah, the A. chalcodes likely won't burrow. Excavate, sure, but not burrow. Mine is out 24/7, basically ignores her hide unless I'm doing heavy maintanence.

@KezyGLA give yours a crumbled ball of paper to move around. This species seems to "play" with balls more than most others. Mine uses her constantly.

Carry it like a sac
Try and eat it
Dump it in the water dish
Bury it when stupid human fishes it out
Dig it up
Repeat

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My A. chalcodes is out the vast majority of the time, I provided her with a hide/burrow but she only ever really uses it when I'm doing maintenance.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
My N. Chromatus sling rarely comes out of its burrow. I have only caught it out three times dince october of 2016. I have found that it tends to venture out in the middle of the night.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I added a sub adult female Aphonopelma chalcodes to my collection around 3 weeks ago and she's almost always out and about. As @The Grym Reaper said about his A chalcodes mine only enters her hide when doing maintenance although she will coming wandering back out to be nosey

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
I have a 1.5" A.seemani that is like a little bulldozer,always carrying some substrate on his loading bucket(pedipalps :p).initially, i put a volume of substate up to half the height of its 3x3x3" cage, now its a gravity defying cube with substrate at the top and air at the bottom.

At this volume of substrate placed and a cubed enclosure of 100% transparency on all sides(even the bottom) i am able to see him very clearly even when he is 'borrowed'.Maybe you could do the same?cant guarantee the results though.

If you're new,i suggest that you start off with a T that is more on the terrestial side than the fossorial side, specially if you bought them for their beauty,because when it comes to fossorial Ts,u dont admire the beauty,u admire the way they make those elaborate tunnels and/or weightless-like-substrates that seems like its floating(or atleast i do anyway!:p)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm able to spot my Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) on daily basis just like for my other 'O.B'. The statement that "you never see those" is a generalization.

It's not because I'm lucky or because I know certain tricks about nor because I'm the Goddess 0.1 humble Priest :pompous: but because at night they do come out (sometimes) and love to stay near their burrow main entrance.

Thing is, majority of supposed 'normal life' people at night sleep, true dat, true dat... still unemployeds, divorced fathers, hardcore 'cocaine and coffee' fueled brokers etc are able to witness such marvellous event since they know best how to manage with Lady Night :-s

The Amazing Me

Arachnopeon
:happy:

I've found that my terrestrial species are regularly out chilling. Even my GBB is pretty good about being out the majority of the time waiting for prey (they're eight legged pigs). I've noticed even further increase in "bold" attitudes as they got bigger too.

The ones you probably want to stay away from then are the fossorial ones. They're what we like to call pet holes. In fact there are several arboreal species just as elusive.

Go look up H. pulchripes or M. balfouri ... now those are some expensive dirt holes...[Dnag it I thought i made a decision now I am considering a GBB

Bugmom

Arachnolord
The only Aphonopelma I've kept that has made a burrow is my A. seemanni. My hentzi and chalcodes will use their hides, but don't burrow.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get a G. pulchra if you can find a female. They're absolutely gorgeus and mine NEVER uses her hide. She's out in the open all the time. They are also pretty active.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I'll give OP this advice, stay away from P. muticus and any of the Cyriopagopus genus. lol

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I am considering a GBB again
Excellent choice! If you've never owned a GBB, slings are voracious eaters, but super flighty. Adults are amazing and web EVERYTHING! The juvy's and adults are a bit on the defensive and skittish side though.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I am really sorry for posting a lot. But I am a new guy and need information on tarantulas. And they said only do research here.
So I setteled on the Aphonopelma chalcodes, because doing studies I found it was a drier animal and the Green bottle blue seemed to be a bit too skittish.
I have never seen my AF use its hide. I have tried making a starter burrow but it just doesn't want to know. I was kind of hoping it would burrow. Lovely species though, enjoy!