Do tarantulas climb plastic/glass?

VesAn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been thinking of getting one sometime in the future, but I'm curious, do any/all species of tarantulas able to climb on the plastic/glass wall of their enclosures?

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think so to. i cant really think of any off the top of my head that cant.
I know they are certainly good at running up ur arm when u least expect it!! :eek:

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
all my T's can easyly climb glass and I guess its the same with plastic

VesAn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I see. In that case, are terrestial tarantulas such as the b. smithi likely to climb up to the sides/top of their enclosure often, or do they tend to stay on the ground?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my geniculata stay most of the time on ground, but will get on the wall from time to time

Joeyo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my rosea has attempted to climb the glass walls of her tank. Each time she tries she'll get about 4 or 5 legs up on the glass then slide back down. *shrug*

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
they are certainly capable of it. Once a terrestrial T gets settled in an enclosure, they'll usually stay on the ground though.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some of my Brachypelma's spend most of their time on the wall. But the reason is that this place is close to the source of heating.
But generally they prefer ground.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
VesAn said:
I see. In that case, are terrestial tarantulas such as the b. smithi likely to climb up to the sides/top of their enclosure often, or do they tend to stay on the ground?
If a terrestrial is climbing more often than not, that usually means that it does not like something about the substrate.

However, that being said, I do have a B. boehmei that likes to sit on top of its hide (a half log) with several of its legs on the glass.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My 1 and 3/4 B. boehemi likes to attach herself on the side of the jar for 2 or 3 days and then goes in her hide for the rest of the week. I dont get it. I did name her Sloth, though. Just living up to her name.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
If a terrestrial is climbing more often than not, that usually means that it does not like something about the substrate.

However, that being said, I do have a B. boehmei that likes to sit on top of its hide (a half log) with several of its legs on the glass.
Many species will also "pace" when they have just been introduced to new substrate or a new tank. This can last a few weeks.

knottyduke

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You know I know its possible, but I have never seen my Haploplema sp. "longipedum" ever climb! She tried many many times but it was like she just could not get a grip to do it. It was like watching a dog with wet paws on a slick floor!!!

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
My B smithii has been seen in his cage. Upside down. Hanging from the glass top. It's a shame the pix came out so bad!

leo3375

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just cleaned my little pulchra's enclosure and he's climbing around on the plexiglass as I write this.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
My T. blondi climbs all the time. He is a monkey, trying to get out and bite my face off I'm sure! (just kidding) I know it isn't because he doesn't like the substrate, he just likes to climb, or wants to get out. The rest of the time he goes in his hide.
My B. smithi sling stays on the glass alot, she comes down quite a bit, but she likes it on the glass behind her plant.
E. campastratus only climbed the first night I got her, exploring I guess!

Daywalker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my rosea only went up top once when i spooked her she's almost 4" . but when i bought my b. smithi a week ago she or maybe a he 2 1/2" spent the first day up towards the top of the tank "glass" . she didn't have a problem what so ever walking up and down glass on all 4 sides . but once she came down she hasn't climbed again .

cdxrd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, all of my spiders climb on a regular basis, and they are all terestrial. None of them are worse than the rosea slings I have tho. I have one who hangs upside down from the top of the enclosure, another lives on the sides, and the third has decided its a burrower. :wall:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i know that T.Blondi can't climb glass/plastic walls....

-Mattyb