do something already, I'm sick of this crap

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Man, I can't believe this A. metallica. It's been nearly a month now and this metallica sling hasn't eaten, molted, not really much. I've tried moving it to other containers, holding food in front of it, the works. I've never seen a sling this small not change in body size without food for nearly a month or not molt either. I'm not sure if it's about to molt, but I've never had a sling barely 1/2" take a month to molt. It has never even eaten since I received it. Hey Art, are these guys little robots, you have a shortage of real metallica slings or something?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think maybe having some patience with it would pay off instead of freaking out. Also maybe just giving it a permanent home rather then changing it all the time may give it less stress.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i agree with jacen, just be patient. moving it around so much may just be stressing the poor little guy out, and may be part of your problem. good luck

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
never underestimate the power of a good little peice of bark or something else for it to feel like its hideing on also remember with little avics ventalation is just as if not more important tham moisture not saying to let him get dry but definately make sure the cage breathes well or else it'll just stagnate and it'll probaly die when it eventualy does try to molt also the peice of bark lets the food come to it rather than the T having to go to the food which is less tramatic than having a cricket shoved in its face one more thing sometimes little avics can be timid with food and imtimadated by food roughly the same size it is so even though it's 1/2" pinheads might not be a bad idea

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes, really, take a chill pill and remember: T's are the cacti of the pet world.

I've got Flagstaff Orange slings that fasted for several weeks and went more than 4 months from the time they emerged from the sac to their first moult. If I remember correctly, my versicolor when it was similar size to yours only ate for about 2 weeks, and fasted for 4-5 between moults.

Your post would make me think you've had some experience with slings, so why all the drama?

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
metallica

I've haven't moved it more than twice, I mean there's not that many options for keeping a Avicularia sling in. It's got cork bark and the same ventilation as all my other avic. slings. Stubburn little guy.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Because it wont eat or molt doesnt mean it is having problems. Just leave it alone.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
My experience is that these guys do tend to draw out the pre-molt fasting period more than other Avics. My latest one went nearly 3 months once, when it was a 1" sling!
(It just molted again this week, and when it emerges from its tube web I strongly suspect it will have palpal bulbs :rolleyes: )

I'd second the call for further ventilation, if at all in doubt.

Joy

happymeal

Arachnopeon
My B.S. Pink s'ling did the same thing went for about 1 1/2 months without eating. I came home today and it had molted and WOW went from 1/4" to 1" (approx).