do sling/pre juvie fangs harden faster after molts

kmhvmh

Arachnopeon
P Metallica sling molted 4 days ago. can't really see the fangs to see if they're blackened yet. do you guys think i can drop a cricket in yet

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Slings harden up pretty quickly, I've seen a 1 inch E. cyanognathus eat within 24 hours of completing a surprise moult (left a pre-killed mealworm outside the burrow, checked back 24 hours later to find it sat next to its exuvia munching away on the mealworm).

4-5 days should be long enough, I usually dig out a freshly moulted prey item for the first post moult feeding, it won't even attack the cricket it if it isn't ready, just pull the cricket if the sling doesn't eat.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
What size? I'd give it a cricket after four days but you could always wait a 2-3 more to be on the safe side as it is a more expensive T plus a ravenous T will make a pretty cool attack. I've heard of folks feeding slings a day after, I wait at least three.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
P Metallica sling molted 4 days ago. can't really see the fangs to see if they're blackened yet. do you guys think i can drop a cricket in yet
I always give them a week. They can go far longer with no ill effects as long as they have water.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I usually offer slings food about 5 days after a moult - a week sounds fine. There are always gonna be a few anomalies, but 7 days seems on safe side to me.
Since my slings always tended to burrow, getting a good look to see if their fangs had blackened just wasn't always possible.
If you're really in doubt, offer something soft -- like a newly moulted white feeder, or my old standby: waxies.

kmhvmh

Arachnopeon
thanks for the quick responses guys. glad a site like this exists for these reasons.