do pedes need a bowl?

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Just about anything will benefit from one, but I don't use them. I just spray weekly and they get their water from the walls and ground.

You won't hurt anything by giving it a water dish.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just about anything will benefit from one, but I don't use them. I just spray weekly and they get their water from the walls and ground.

You won't hurt anything by giving it a water dish.
Crickets ;P

Really, though, I only sprayed for my Alipes grandidieri and it did fine, even molting in my care.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't have much to add, I do the same basically. With young ones in delis, I just spray the sides. Once I put them in a terr or something like a plastic shoe box, I do put a cap of water in the corner. I do it that way with all inverts.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Putting a stick or something partially in the bowl helps with that problem.

Or... switching off of crickets because they're horrible demon bugs.
I've tried the sticks and the rocks method, but they just can't seem to stop drowning themselves :)

Best method: switch off of crickets :D

Spydr

Arachnopeon
I've tried the sticks and the rocks method, but they just can't seem to stop drowning themselves :)
there are cricket life preservers for water dishes. they are plastic doodads that are easier to climb then a stick. my roomate has one, petsmart doesn't sell them anymore, i'd try online. (petsmart only stops selling the best and my favorite items)

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it necessary to spray the enclosures for young pedes? Would a small (2") S. heros have molting problems if I keep the enclosure dry with a water-filled cap?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Dry is a relative term and your humidity is unknown but most anyone's dry would kill a young heros in days not weeks. My dry this time of year (3% humidity) would kill it in hours.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dry is a relative term and your humidity is unknown but most anyone's dry would kill a young heros in days not weeks. My dry this time of year (3% humidity) would kill it in hours.
True. I should have been more specific. The humidity here right now is 73-75%. I'm reluctant to give it a moist substrate given the humidity level here, coupled with the fact that it's native to arid zones.

I've been keeping it with a water cap and substrate that has no moisture for two weeks and it's been doing well. I just hope that my setup doesn't contribute to any issues when the time comes for it to molt.

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
True. I should have been more specific. The humidity here right now is 73-75%. I'm reluctant to give it a moist substrate given the humidity level here, coupled with the fact that it's native to arid zones.

I've been keeping it with a water cap and substrate that has no moisture for two weeks and it's been doing well. I just hope that my setup doesn't contribute to any issues when the time comes for it to molt.
I find our dry (South Florida) is not even close to dry for my T's or Pede's It's when you close up your house and turn on the ac that you run into problems. I always have a water dish in for my T's and Pede's.And yes they do like water dishes!!

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I find our dry (South Florida) is not even close to dry for my T's or Pede's
Same here. That's why I chose to err on the side of not giving the pede additional moisture. Also, they're exposed to the outdoor humidity as I keep them in my garage.

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's very dry here especially in the winter so I keep waterdishes in with everything.:)

Ollie

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
lol! happy to say that is not a typical pic!, something new to me with so many at the same time, yeah what species?! I'm going to guess Ethmostigmus, there is a mite prob too but not a big deal if you keep dead feeder parts out. If you do, the mites will become less and less as time and molts go by.