Do OBT slings normally have small abdomens?

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
Mine seems to have a small abdomen like an arboreal despite eating a superworm recently, it looks smaller irl than it does in the picture and it has really long legs, I do wonder if they sent me the wrong type of T.
IMG_20221126_183839.jpg

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
I bought a juvenile recently looks real healthy and same abdomen is small. The carapace is big compared to the abdomen. I fed it a big roach. Hoping it can pack some weight now that I got it.

Mine seems to have a small abdomen like an arboreal despite eating a superworm recently, it looks smaller irl than it does in the picture and it has really long legs, I do wonder if they sent me the wrong type of T.
View attachment 433395
Can you get a better image of it? Can’t really see. Seems like an OBT but I just see feet. Lol, you can’t really get it wrong though. Their vibrant color can’t be confused for another tbh.

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
Can you get a better image of it? Can’t really see. Seems like an OBT but I just see feet. Lol, you can’t really get it wrong though. Their vibrant color can’t be confused for another tbh.
Unfortunately not, my camera isn't the best and he's in his burrow, I took that picture before I made this thread.
His legs are longer than his whole body.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Which blur is the spider?
My Orange Bitey Thing often sports an abdomen shaped similar to my arboreals, as does my P. muticus.
Many captive tarantulas are just overfed.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I really can't make anything out from the picture, but all you can really do is make sure it has food and water.
Mine is a voracious eater and these things grow fast (moult often) so it constantly cycles through fat and skinny abdomens.

Edit: I almost forgot: general rule of thumb is abdomen about the same size as the carapace. Most captive tarantulas I've seen (mine too) really are over-fed. You can't over feed a sling though, as they moult so often.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So why post an image that no one can see well?

They can be - small is relative term

Most OWs I’ve kept don’t plump out like some NWs

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
So why post an image that no one can see well?
You can see the shape of it and the legs in front of it if you look hard enough, I thought that some reference would be helpful.
Most OWs I’ve kept don’t plump out like some NWs
True but with my h himalayana its abdomen is long and oval, this one is shaped more like a short lemon

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
I belive all of them have a pink reddish hue in their mouths. Haha, as long as it’s a vibrant orange and bottom of the feet have this blue green tint I’m sure it’s an obt.
I did see teal spots on two of its front legs so you're probably right.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
You sure you didn’t take a pic of Sasquatch? Cuz I can barely make out what you’re trying to show, and I have super good eyesight.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
I have never gotten any tude from them. However, I keep them in enough substrate to burrow pretty deep. They are all in 40 dram vials and they have borrowed to the bottom of the vials with webbing up 3/4 of the vial lol. Ironically I have gotten threat pose from my 2i seladonia and my 4” versicolor xD

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
I have never gotten any tude from them. However, I keep them in enough substrate to burrow pretty deep. They are all in 40 dram vials and they have borrowed to the bottom of the vials with webbing up 3/4 of the vial lol. Ironically I have gotten threat pose from my 2i seladonia and my 4” versicolor xD
I’d thought versicolors would be the least to throw threat poses. Then again I’ve had that from my b hamorri when she’s in premolt.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
I’d thought versicolors would be the least to throw threat poses. Then again I’ve had that from my b hamorri when she’s in premolt.
I was unpacking the versi when she came in. What surprised me was seeing a spider that’s literally like 3/8” toss its legs back and bare its fangs. Cutest thing ever lol