Do not disturb mode

KevinLovett86

Arachnopeon
I found a piece of bark that will make the most perfect hide, my boy liked it.
262FDBC8-AFE0-45B2-BA85-B09863479FF0.jpeg
But the next day he covered himself up and left a little window for me to check up on him.
01D422D5-F659-4986-A29B-3ACE53B18D0C.jpeg
How long do they do this for?
It’s only been 5 days, but is there a point where I should get worried at all?

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Mine walled herself off for at least two weeks (I think it was longer) before she molted just recently and she is a tiny little thing. She molted on July 4th. About 3-4 days ago she poked her feet out and last night she finally opened both sides of her burrow and dragged the exuvia out of her burrow to the furthest corner of the enclosure. So she was in there at least 3-4 weeks. I'm really new so whenever I start to wonder/stress/panic I come here and read old threads because almost every time my question has already been answered before.

Attachments

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nothing to worry about. I've had spiders wall themselves up for weeks or even months at a time - and sometimes they're not even molting! All you can do is trust that your spider knows what it's doing - whether it's preparing for a molt or going on an extended diet or just taking a break to enjoy a little "me time" - and respect the "Do not disturb" sign he's put out. At least he was thoughtful enough to give you that little window to check up on him! Most of mine don't even do that much.

If he has completely closed off the entrance to his hide/burrow, don't offer live prey until he decides that he's ready to come out. You can drop in prekilled if you want - but remove it after a day or two if it isn't eaten so it doesn't attract mold, mites, or phorid flies. You don't have to worry about him starving. Tarantulas can go weeks or even months without food.

It's very important to keep his water dish full, even if he's hiding away. It will help maintain ambient humidity - and if he gets thirsty, he can always slip out for a drink.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I've got a sling that I've seen about 3 times in the last 7 or 8 months, but it's completely fine

KevinLovett86

Arachnopeon
I'm really new so whenever I start to wonder/stress/panic I come here and read old threads because almost every time my question has already been answered before.
Me too, and I've seen many other posts on FB as well, but I also wanted to just show off my little inspection window, like the little guy is being considerate or whatever.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
But seriously I also have slings that just hide a

Oh man! That never crossed my mind :eek:
The non lid-making species are usually alright in that regard. Any trapdoor with a lid will often need a bit higher moisture level in the soil so will keep the lid tightly shut during the day to prevent both detection by predators and water loss

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
The non lid-making species are usually alright in that regard. Any trapdoor with a lid will often need a bit higher moisture level in the soil so will keep the lid tightly shut during the day to prevent both detection by predators and water loss
That's pretty awesome. I would love to get me one sometime, but I would want to do alittle more research. Iv heard their pretty defensive also.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
That's pretty awesome. I would love to get me one sometime, but I would want to do alittle more research. Iv heard their pretty defensive also.
Yea that's fair enough. Although most species are dead easy to keep, the defensive temperament of some species can be off-putting. But when you get to see them catch food, it's just something else

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Yea that's fair enough. Although most species are dead easy to keep, the defensive temperament of some species can be off-putting. But when you get to see them catch food, it's just something else
Iv watched them on YouTube and everytime it will open the door my son jumps : D but sometimes I do too. :rolleyes:

KevinLovett86

Arachnopeon
He’s out, and wearing his swaggering new colours
Here’s before
B5370A17-6651-4317-BA74-63BBE182828C.jpeg
And after being underground for more than 2 weeks...
76C6049A-9449-4795-BE38-47119B393B7A.jpeg

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
@Asgiliath I'm not sure sure what to clarify lol, basically trapdoor spiders defensive behaviour puts some keepers off from buying them, but their care requirements are very easy most of the time