Do LP males get as large as females?

jeryst

Arachnopeon
I have an LP male, probably a good guess is 3-4 inches.

Do the male LP's get as large as the females?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
if ur going to take the time to say search function, you can just answer the question. otherwise just keep to yourslef . its called "Tarantula chat" because people like to chat.
Dont get your panties in a bunch. Im just encouraging the use of it thats all. Im sure there are lots of questions the OP will have in the future that can be answered using the search function.

And same goes for you. Why reply to my post instead of answering the OPs question? :razz:

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i see this as a legitimate conversation. its not a common question to be asked and im pretty sure some one would have posted an epic picture.

pretty much every single question being asked recently could have been resolved through a search. But i think its good to have new people answering the questions then all these "gurus" do it. that's how you get experience.
some of these answers are a few years old and maybe things have changed.

i would like to see the answer to this as well but ive never cared to ask because i thought well someone else will ask and i will find out then.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
i see this as a legitimate conversation. its not a common question to be asked and im pretty sure some one would have posted an epic picture.

pretty much every single question being asked recently could have been resolved through a search. But i think its good to have new people answering the questions then all these "gurus" do it. that's how you get experience.
some of these answers are a few years old and maybe things have changed.

i would like to see the answer to this as well but ive never cared to ask because i thought well someone else will ask and i will find out then.
Its not a common question because its not hard to find the answer. Google is also available. Youtube has lots of mating videos with LPs. ;)

In red: How does it make sense for someone that is "new" to be better qualified than "gurus" as you put it to answer questions? :? I would think the people with more experience would be more qualified. But nobody wants anything thats not sugar coated.. :rolleyes: You dont gain experience by answering questions people ask. You get experience by.. Well experiencing things? And possibly learning things from experienced people.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its not a common question because its not hard to find the answer. Google is also available. Youtube has lots of mating videos with LPs. ;)

In red: How does it make sense for someone that is "new" to be better qualified than "gurus" as you put it to answer questions? :? I would think the people with more experience would be more qualified. But nobody wants anything thats not sugar coated.. :rolleyes: You dont gain experience by answering questions people ask. You get experience by.. Well experiencing things? And possibly learning things from experienced people.

but again epic pictures, and maybe someone has something cool to say.
and by that i meanwell these gurus were noobs at one point too. and by experience its just the generality..the confidence in saying your answer, or if you were slightly off someone else will correct it and you learn from. its all a learning experience for all parties.

but what was your point in saying search function? obviously you could have ignored the thread. its not like we have anything better to talk about anyways. im sorry if i come off rude or anything and if i do i apologize if i do. but im just curious. but for the sake of not hi-jacking this thread how about we go pm?

Titandan

Arachnopeon

So I think the OP was trying to ask "experienced people" a question. What's wrong with that? In your experience do LP males get as large as the females?

If you don't know the answer just don't answer and move on. Telling every noob to do search function kinda gets old...

But to try to answer the question, I don't know enough about LP's but most T's females are larger in total volume. They tend to be fatter than the males so yeah. They are larger.

I think some species have males that are lanky-er than the females and in terms of length, can appear to be larger in that sense. But for the most part, females will be heavier and larger generally speaking. Sorry because I'm kinda new at this hobby too. I'm learning new things every day through this mostly useful forum!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
So I think the OP was trying to ask "experienced people" a question. What's wrong with that? In your experience do LP males get as large as the females?

If you don't know the answer just don't answer and move on. Telling every noob to do search function kinda gets old...
Its not that i dont know the answer. And there is nothing wrong with asking. I offered my help. The answers are there. You just have to look for yourself. Why do new people take such offence to the search function being offered? Its a wonderful part of this forum. I offered it so other questions he has can be answered as well as this one, not to be a jerk. Its faster and you get alot more opinions on the matter. Take it as you wish but i shall offer it as i may. {D

Titandan

Arachnopeon
Ok AgentD006las,

Sorry if I come off as rude, but I tried the search function and maybe I used the wrong words, but I didn't find the answer to the question initially asked.

If we are restricted from asking questions that were asked before, I didn't get the memo. I thought this question was specific enough(in terms of the species) so that it might warrant its own thread.

I can't talk for all newbies to the hobby, but if you're new to the forum, it's common that they might not know how to use the search function. If it has been discussed before, maybe a vet like yourself can link an older topic and teach the new person how to use the search function. It takes a bit more work than to just say, "search function" but it can be very helpful.

I would like for this hobby to grow and I think this forum is such a valuable asset to the hobby because it has such wonderful and helpful people. I know it might be an inconvenience to some older members, but why not let the new members ask questions and allow for those who are able to answer the question?

I think most of the questions asked are very interesting. Not all T's are alike so I'm interested to find out if there are some species where males can be larger than females. Once again, I'm just trying to clarify where I'm coming from and not just trying to argue for the sake of arguing. I respect your opinion as well in making this forum as helpful and edifying as possible.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
ANSWER:

Yes they can, though I believe they won't be as heavy as a similarly sized female.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will say no. They can get big, but the differnce between males and females is male will mature and soon die so after they mature they wont molt again while females still have years of life left and can molt multiple times more then the males so they male can get big but females can get older so they have more time to grow.

jeryst

Arachnopeon
Look, every time I ask a question, someone always tells me to go look it up. Why do we even bother to have a forum and a chat section?

First of all, I hate search functions. You have to wade through scads of posts to get a little glimmer of you answer here and there, and most of the time, the question does not get completely answered to my satisfaction. Using the search function does not let me interact with people, get to know them, chat, etc. Not only that, but I dont have the time to sit around for hours looking through old posts. I have two kids and two grandchildren to take care of, work full time, and go to college full time, so my time is limited. I know its selfish, but I would rather just interact with someone, than sit around looking things up. If I wanted to do that, I have a university library, and the whole internet at my disposal. I prefer personal interaction because it usually offers the most recent information, and its just plain nice to talk to people that have the same interests.

If I seem to be a bother to some, then just dont bother to reply. I'm enthusiastic about the hobby and want to talk to people with the same interests.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Some males will get as big as females when talking strickly legspan, but most will be a few inches smaller. They will usually have slightly smaller abdomens as they grow, but not always. Once they mature they have much less bulk than the adult females. Nevertheless, they are impressive tarantulas. Here is a pic of a 9 in male.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
[/QUOTE]

9"? Come on man, are you thinking in centimeters??? :D
That looks RIDICULOUSLY large!

Again, as our friend Barabootom said, all the mature males tend to look thinner, less bulkier and somewhat smaller than females. but some of them reaches equal leg spans.
I have a MM blondi that is at least 10" if not more.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will say no. They can get big, but the differnce between males and females is male will mature and soon die
really?
I know of a MM L. parahybana that survived 3 years after its final moult
I know of a MM G. rosea that still going after 2 years (1 of many)
I know of a lady from another US forum that has an MM Avicularia sp that lasted nearly 2 years.
I could go on, its a shame people repeat these same sentiments.

Mature males are a value to the hobby, without them we have no captive breeding projects. They are at their most fertile during the first 6 months although some species are prone to early deaths eg. Cyriopagopus & Lampropelma. Give them access to water and occassionally a small cricket and your males will last far longer. MM are born to breed, not born to die!

The size of MM L. parahybana has been comparable with that of the female in my experience, if anything they'll be a little shorter but far slender as described by others. They also tend to be quite docile but inquisitive so they make great additions for shows and displays.

Keep asking questions, there's plenty of people on here willing to answer, however noob a question it might appear.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As leggy, if not leggier, yes...carapace size, and abdomen size , no.....like everyone else says, the males are not as bulky, but they sure do get as big overall length wise.....my MM LP was actually about an inch bigger than my large female.....she still ate him without any problems tho {D

near the bottom of the page, theres a pic of the pair....not the best pic but you can see the sizes

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=167523&page=24

heres another comparison....again about half way down the page...

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=167523&page=22

Last edited:

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
really?
I know of a MM L. parahybana that survived 3 years after its final moult
I know of a MM G. rosea that still going after 2 years (1 of many)
I know of a lady from another US forum that has an MM Avicularia sp that lasted nearly 2 years.
I could go on, its a shame people repeat these same sentiments.
I mean "soon" relativly. Some species may die in 6 months others after over a year of so but in either case the females will live much longer. For the speicesw with 2yo MM there are probably females that can hit 15-20 years so thats more potential molts then a male can have in its lifetime.