do I just have to wait and watch him die?

mercury904

Arachnopeon

it all started with a lump,then a laceration on every molt came,but this time it looked so serious after this molt. he is still alive as of now,this photo is taken 2 hrs after the molt

if he survive the molt with this opening will he make it then?

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Is He moving around as normal, or is he favoring it? If so I would freeze him, especially since its getting worse with molts. I'm definitely not an expert though.

mercury904

Arachnopeon
Is He moving around as normal, or is he favoring it? If so I would freeze him, especially since its getting worse with molts. I'm definitely not an expert though.
he is currently not moving because of the molt ,but i can tell that he is still alive

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is a hard call, i feel that over time, it will rupture.
If it doesn't interfere, leave it be, and let in enjoy life as best it can.
If you see it leaking or rupture then put it down.

Tough place to be in.

PIG-

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would put it down if it were mine.
It is your call. I don't see that getting any better. Sorry!

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
yeah i'll just let nature to decide :(
It could be a rather long drawn out process.If you care about this T you will put it down.It's going to die eventually,but you can choose to show compassion for your animal and do what's best.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feel your pain... hard call!!!
Sorry to see you ran into a bummed out situation...
Yeah i would let nature take it's course....
But chances are slim!!!!
What kind of T is it?

Peace!!!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you are going to let nature do it's thing and see if it makes it, you should cover that up with superglue or something so it doesn't leak.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
TBH personally I would euthanize it, the freezers always a good call although there are reports that it isn't the most ethical way to euthanize a tarantula, unfortunately squashing seems to be the fastest way to euthanize them although to do that I guess you'd have to be one fairly messed up puppy :S

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry about your T, that is harsh. :(
S/he looks such a beautiful spider too.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's a tough on for sure. I had a mature male N. chromatus that suffered a severe injury during a mating attempt. His abdomen was ruptured and there was about a pea-sized drop of the mucus looking stuff. He lived for quite awhile after that and even attempted to mate with her again. I didn't let the second attempt go too far though. He didn't make it to the next molt so I don't know how that would have turned out.

Edit: He lived for nearly a year after with no other obvious consequences. He even ate well after the injury. I do not know what ultimately caused his death. It could have been effects of the injury.

Last edited:

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
It could be a rather long drawn out process.If you care about this T you will put it down.It's going to die eventually,but you can choose to show compassion for your animal and do what's best.
It's an invertebrate, compassion? I know I sound awful but letting it be and waiting to see what happens isn't not a horrible thing. Waiting it out is perfectly fine IMO.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's an invertebrate, compassion? I know I sound awful but letting it be and waiting to see what happens isn't not a horrible thing. Waiting it out is perfectly fine IMO.
There are people who, invertebrates or not, feel compassion and even love for their T's. Who are you to judge them for it? :embarrassed:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To be honest, I wouldn't euthanize the T. If you do, you are taking away its chance to live, even if it seems to be a small chance. Nature will take its course and there is no need for you to hurry it along. I hope it pulls through.