Do H. gigas really like to swim?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I say... Yes!

There is no way I could poke or prod this little one in the water.. The slightest bump to its enclosure.. Its gone straight to its burrow..

Here are some shots.. It was sitting with its feet touching the water.. Then in went in for a dunk & sat in it for a while.. Then.. It climbed out..

Sorry for the low quality.. Enjoy.. :D

Its quite obvious s/he was not going in for a simple drink..

Again.. I was not doing anything to get the spider in the water.. :razz:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
So it looks like there will be a market for tarantula shorts and goggles pretty soon. {D I witnessed my 2" male dipping his toes in the water dish. First time i put a dish in. Its my belief he was fishing. Very cool pics Tommy. :clap:

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
So it looks like there will be a market for tarantula shorts and goggles pretty soon. {D I witnessed my 2" male dipping his toes in the water dish. First time i put a dish in. Its my belief he was fishing. Very cool pics Tommy. :clap:
ha aybe some little scuba suits... o no is it possible Ts had a hand err claw in what happened in the gulf :eek: haha

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I wonder if there are any other Ts that like to go for a swim? :? Edit: Ones that are "known" to do this.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
I wonder if there are any other Ts that like to go for a swim? :?
a ive always wondered that i have no experinece with the rest of the hystecrates but i dunno if i beleave gigas is the only out of it genus can do this. i mean theres regular spiders that can like diving spiders so i beleave its feesable

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice pics tommy, I know ROBC had a video of one of his big girls swimming in a crazy enclosure he had built for her. Not a dip in the water Im talkin a full on swim.
They are to only ones I am aware of that go swimming. I wonder if its even been tried with other tarantulas from the same living conditions? or maybe just having some water/fish/and a hungry Tarantula?

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool, pics - wish I could get them here too :(
How long did it stay in the water for ?

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Surely most of you have tarantulas that will go into their water dishes? Why in the world are Tommy's pictures so fascinating to you? And why would you feel that this indicates that H.gigas are aqua-tarantulas? Are you unaware that Robc's are no longer housed that way but the video lives on? I'm just trying to understand the dynamic going on here. Diane

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Surely most of you have tarantulas that will go into their water dishes? Why in the world are Tommy's pictures so fascinating to you? And why would you feel that this indicates that H.gigas are aqua-tarantulas? Are you unaware that Robc's are no longer housed that way but the video lives on? I'm just trying to understand the dynamic going on here. Diane
Its pretty well known that they do some sort of fishing. You cant tell me that youve seen all Ts sitting by the water all still and stealthy like H. gigas does. Ive seen my Ts drink water and they do not lay their whole body in the water. When they are just drinking they just put there mouth parts in. I think this particular T enjoys a little dip. It would be nice to see Tommy's T do this in a 3" pool of water.

I have read in other threads that people have made pools for them and they willingly go in. Even one person said he had a fish in a pool and it vanished the next day. Ill try to get that thread earthed up for you non believers. :rolleyes: This is just a single thread of many that shows proof of this. And just because Robc doesnt have his set up in that tank doesnt mean they are not semi aquatic. Robc is not the "End All" in the tarantula hobby. Why dont we ask Rob why he doesnt have it in that tank anymore? :?
Maybe because they only go to the edge of the water at night and we never see them in action?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am totally having an image in my minds eye right now, of a really cool enclosure with a small pond, with fishies in it so the T could fish... That would be so frikkin rad!! Eeeehh, now I need to go to some drawing of my idea, it looks awesome in my head!

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tommy come up with a line of swimin outfits for tarantulas
he is in search for models now {D
Its pretty well known that they do some sort of fishing.
I see no fish in that waterdish :(

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is my Cyriopagopus schioedtei. Evidently she is a water tarantula as well. Guess I'd better get her a large water bowl and some snorkeling gear cause she is in the water dish almost every day and I mean feet, legs, ALL of her. This girl is 8 inches or more.
Diane

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have read in other threads that people have made pools for them and they willingly go in. Even one person said he had a fish in a pool and it vanished the next day.
I don't know if you are referring to my experiment with a large water dish and this species in this thread?

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=147203

Here is the quote about the fish:
"I have put fish in there but have given up on that. I noticed a fish missing but never saw it eat one. I don't know if another fish ate it or the T did. I never saw remnants of an eaten fish. And since they would just end up dying and start to stink I abandoned the experiment."

Personally, I believe if the T ate it, I would see remnants of it since the T wouldn't consume the tiny bones. It could have buried it...I don't know? My opinion on this after having this set up for weeks is this. I think it is definitely interested in the 'other living thing' inside the enclosure, and the vibrations that the fish make DO interest it. I've seen it sit at the waters edge with it's front legs touching the water. Every now then, it would jolt a little when the fish came close or when the fish came to the surface. But you'd get the same response with tongs sometimes...I purchased minnows several times after the last batch would die in the bowl. Only once did I find a fish missing. I believe Danny when he says he's seen it, but I seemed to just waste money on minnows. I did see how it does submerge itself in the water, and I believe like Diane said, it doesn't make them aquatic in any way. No more than we are for going into the water sometimes. :)

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, Diane, thats an awesome picture and T !! A real waterbaby huh ? :)
Hey Diane, Thats a Really nice picture, But your attitude is not:embarrassed: thank you for contributing to the conversation with your pictures.
~Aaron