Do G. pulchripes slings fast frequently?

JessicaAragon

Arachnopeon
I am starting to get a little concerned. My approx 3/4-1 inch sling, G. Pulchripes covered it’s burrow hole and was buried for about 6 weeks. Then I noticed the hole was reopened and it’s legs were visible so I feed it a meal worm. It’s pretty skittish so I gently placed the worm at it’s legs and it seems to take it but I neve confirmed it ate. I left it a few more mealworms and crickets over the next few weeks but have been removing them because I find them still alive the next day. At one point I had to excavate the burrow to get a cricket because I could see it was still alive and didn’t want it to harm my T. At this point I have no idea when the last time my T has eaten and am worried. It has molted twice in my care and has been doing good. Any advice or reassurance will be appreciated. Thanks

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
Hey :). There's no need to be worried. Fasting is very common with tarantulas, everything will be okay. A lot of new owners post on here very concerned about their T not eating, when in reality it's perfectly normal. Just keep offering it food about once a week or so and removing anything uneaten. On a sidenote, if you're leaving live prey I would keep an eye on it so you don't have burrowing crickets and end up not being able to find it. This can be dangerous considering fasting is often a sign of premolt, and a molting T + live feeder = dead sling. You can also crush the heads first to prevent them from burrowing.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It's normal. Even slings can go without for longer than you think. Especially if they've been fed heavily. Just keep up the basic care. Fresh water. You can offer prekilled or disabled prey items periodically if you aren't sure about your spider's condition.

JessicaAragon

Arachnopeon
Hey :). There's no need to be worried. Fasting is very common with tarantulas, everything will be okay. A lot of new owners post on here very concerned about their T not eating, when in reality it's perfectly normal. Just keep offering it food about once a week or so and removing anything uneaten. On a sidenote, if you're leaving live prey I would keep an eye on it so you don't have burrowing crickets and end up not being able to find it. This can be dangerous considering fasting is often a sign of premolt, and a molting T + live feeder = dead sling. You can also crush the heads first to prevent them from burrowing.
Yes. I was trying to offer the cricket but accidentally dropped it. I won’t make that mistake again. I will continue to offer food with crushed heads for awhile longer. Thanks for the response.

It's normal. Even slings can go without for longer than you think. Especially if they've been fed heavily. Just keep up the basic care. Fresh water. You can offer prekilled or disabled prey items periodically if you aren't sure about your spider's condition.
That’s mostly why I was worried, it being a sling. And it just came out of a molt. I had a G. Rosea both in 1994 and 1999 and I swear they never ate. Unfortunately the internet wasn’t what it is now so I didn’t know they fasted.Now I finally can have T’s again and I am overwhelmed by all the information available. I don’t want to make any mistakes. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Define frequent...all Ts stop eating when they are full. I wouldn't call it fasting.

goonius

Arachnoknight
I had a 1" G pulchra, one of my first slings, bury herself and fast for 9 months. About the time I was certain she was dead and that I was just lovingly maintaining a AMAC container full of dirt, she decided to reappear.

I'd try not to fret too much. I'll echo the prekilling/disabling of prey just to be sure your spider doesn't become lunch when it does eventually molt.

PhoenixFyre

Arachnomom
Arachnosupporter +
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I received my G. Pulchra (2.5") on Jan. 5th she hasn't moved from under her cork (head and carapace facing in - booty out) and hasn't eaten anything to date.

I've tried feeding her, but she's not interested at all - she hasn't even turned around.

Her abdomen is large and getting darker by the day so I believe that she's in premolt.

I just make sure that she's comfortable by overfilling her water bowl if I see that the lower level of her substrate begins to dry out in that area.

Frustrating? Yes

Worrisome? Yes

But right now, the best thing I can do for her is to let her be. I can only imagine the amount of energy needed to go through a molt.

I'm sure your T is fine, my advice is, just relax and give it some time. :)

JessicaAragon

Arachnopeon
Define frequent...all Ts stop eating when they are full. I wouldn't call it fasting.
Idk, fasting is what other people have referred to it as. Periods of not eating. I have only confirmed it eating 5 times in 6 months. It will eat a half meal worm, then not eat for a few weeks. Then another piece of worm or cricket and go another long period not eating. This last week or so hasn’t eaten at all as far as I can tell since it molted and opened it’s burrow. I thought it would be hungry after 6 weeks not eating and molting. I guess it’s eating as much as it needs. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I received my G. Pulchra (2.5") on Jan. 5th she hasn't moved from under her cork (head and carapace facing in - booty out) and hasn't eaten anything to date.

I've tried feeding her, but she's not interested at all - she hasn't even turned around.

Her abdomen is large and getting darker by the day so I believe that she's in premolt.

I just make sure that she's comfortable by overfilling her water bowl if I see that the lower level of her substrate begins to dry out in that area.

Frustrating? Yes

Worrisome? Yes

But right now, the best thing I can do for her is to let her be. I can only imagine the amount of energy needed to go through a molt.

I'm sure your T is fine, my advice is, just relax and give it some time. :)
I think I was worried because I was comparing it to my G. pulchra sling. Now that one eats like crazy. It stopped eating one day and the next day was covering it’s burrow. So excited for another molt. It’s growing fast! Thanks for the advice. I got my first T when I was around 11 years old and that was around 1994. I did so many wrong things. I am so thankful for this forum.
Good luck with your G.pulchra . They sure are gorgeous. I named mine BB. Black Beauty

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Idk, fasting is what other people have referred to it as. Periods of not eating. I have only confirmed it eating 5 times in 6 months. It will eat a half meal worm, then not eat for a few weeks. Then another piece of worm or cricket and go another long period not eating. This last week or so hasn’t eaten at all as far as I can tell since it molted and opened it’s burrow. I thought it would be hungry after 6 weeks not eating and molting. I guess it’s eating as much as it needs. Thanks.
they aren’t eating machines. Don’t you stop eating when you’re full???

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I think I was worried because I was comparing it to my G. pulchra sling.
Ahh here’s your problem 😉 You can’t compare eating, molting, and general behavior of one species or one individual to another as if ones right and ones wrong. They are all different, and act, molt, and feed/don’t feed differently!