Do Discoid Roaches Burrow?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hello all,

I can't find a straight answer anywhere on this one aspect of discoid roaches as feeders. Would Blaberus discoidalis burrow if placed in an enclosure with several inches of soil? Searching through Google, I found one web site that says they don't and several others that say they do. Searching most subforums here, I can't find a plain and simple yes or no which is what I'm looking for with this post.

Thanks in advance,

Lonnie

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The nymphs act like Blaptica dubia; they will burrow a few moments after touching a substrate and feeling exposed.
The adults burrow as well but much more infrequently than Blaptica dubia adults.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bred them for several years and trust me, they DO burrow lol. I always tong fed my spiders when I was feeding large roaches.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Mine are all burrowed right now! LOL

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes indeed they do burrow as do pretty much all members of the genus Blaberus. Oddly however giganteus seem to be more vertically inclined than other species of the genus. its been a while since I have been around but it seems people have asked where i have been so I have returned.

Vootie and Wubba Wubba

tameyourself

Arachnopeon
I stopped feeding them to my crested geckos because they would burrow before they could eat them. Then months later they would come out of hiding as adults!