Do Different Millipede Species Like Eachother?

ArtisticAardwolf

Arachnosquire
So, from what I've heard millipedes like to hang out together. Is this just within their own species? Or if I got a smokey oak and a American millipede would they like to spend time together, and not need others of their own species? Or would they just tolerate eachother?

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
"Like" is a strong word and I would prefer not to use that sort of terminology with regards to invertebrates, but millipedes of different species are usually fine living together (as long as they have similar habitats and living requirements, of course). I've heard of situations in which different species may attempt to mate with each other when kept communally, so it's not like they segregate themselves.

By the way, millipedes are normally perfectly fine by themselves, so they won't "need others of their own species" anyway. But they certainly tolerate other species and are not averse to being in proximity to them, at least generally speaking. N. gordanus and N. americanus both have about the same living requirements and you can absolutely house them together, to answer your question for that specific combo.

ArtisticAardwolf

Arachnosquire
"Like" is a strong word and I would prefer not to use that sort of terminology with regards to invertebrates, but millipedes of different species are usually fine living together (as long as they have similar habitats and living requirements, of course). I've heard of situations in which different species may attempt to mate with each other when kept communally, so it's not like they segregate themselves.

By the way, millipedes are normally perfectly fine by themselves, so they won't "need others of their own species" anyway. But they certainly tolerate other species and are not averse to being in proximity to them, at least generally speaking. N. gordanus and N. americanus both have about the same living requirements and you can absolutely house them together, to answer your question for that specific combo.
That's good to know. I've heard that millipedes pile/sleep on each other even when other sleeping places are available. I'm really wondering if others of the same species makes them feel 'safe' and if they'll sleep in a group.

By 'like' I don't mean to say they have friends or anything but they know 'good' (good food, good hiding place, good humidity) and 'bad' (something is chasing me, I'm hurt) obviously it's not a conscious thought but still. I'm curious whether others like them triggers the 'good' or does nothing.

I want them to live the best life possible

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
That's good to know. I've heard that millipedes pile/sleep on each other even when other sleeping places are available. I'm really wondering if others of the same species makes them feel 'safe' and if they'll sleep in a group.

By 'like' I don't mean to say they have friends or anything but they know 'good' (good food, good hiding place, good humidity) and 'bad' (something is chasing me, I'm hurt) obviously it's not a conscious thought but still. I'm curious whether others like them triggers the 'good' or does nothing.

I want them to live the best life possible
That's quite possibly the case. Having other "friendly" organisms could certainly act as protection from predators and might help with food by foraging, so other millipedes and similar organisms would be useful to have around. It could be that having them nearby triggers some neurological response, or that it at least doesn't trigger a negative response.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
It might be that there is some advantage to living together, but from what I have seen millipedes in the wild congregate because of the quality of the habitat. They are perfectly fine being kept together, likely one of the most communal invertebrates in the hobby, but as @VolkswagenBug said, they do fine alone.

Thanks,

Arthroverts