Do centipedes scavenge?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've seen them scavenge a bit but I offer live prey. Watching them track and chomp a live roach or cricket is an thrill.

Salvador

Arachnosquire
In short, yes. Leave a dead feeder in the tank, and the centipede will eat it if hungry. I nearly always prekill roaches as they burrow too much.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Anyone know? It would make feeding a lot easier...
They'll definitely scavenge. When I had my massive one I fed it a fish, rat and chick. It found them all and had it's fill. These where fed sparingly though. The main diet was made up of roaches and crickets.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've seen them scavenge a bit but I offer live prey. Watching them track and chomp a live roach or cricket is an thrill.
i just have mealworms and superworms right now. it seems to have taken the one i put in last night. thats a load off my mind.
do they grow back their antennae after a molt? mine seems to have lost half of his right one.

basin79

ArachnoGod
i just have mealworms and superworms right now. it seems to have taken the one i put in last night. thats a load off my mind.
do they grow back their antennae after a molt? mine seems to have lost half of his right one.
Yes, they'll grow back missing legs too. Much like T's.

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
I've even seen a centipede eat a chunk of raw steak, so yes they will scavenge.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
They'll definitely scavenge. When I had my massive one I fed it a fish, rat and chick. It found them all and had it's fill. These where fed sparingly though. The main diet was made up of roaches and crickets.

These pics are insanely cool, I didn't know they would eat animals that much larger. Your pede is hardcore, thanks for sharing.

basin79

ArachnoGod
These pics are insanely cool, I didn't know they would eat animals that much larger. Your pede is hardcore, thanks for sharing.
My snakes/bullfrog weren't hungry so I'd pop the feeder for the pede.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Chomping on steak! That's impressive.
They are extremely intelligents, natural born evolved predators... with all the respect (I love them, uh) for T's & Scorpiones those can't even suit in the same league of Scolopendridae :-s